Aggression or just a weirdo?

Pics

Adrienne-m

Chirping
May 4, 2020
My rooster, Meatball (5 months), has been doing a weird sideways run where he drops one wing and runs sideways towards the girls. I thought this was mating as that’s how it started out ending up. This morning though he did it to me and now I’m wondering if it’s aggressive behavior? Yesterday he was trying to sneak up behind me. He doesn’t like to be caught but if we can get to hold him, he loves to be petted and will fall asleep having his back scratched. We have kids so I won’t keep an aggressive rooster. Thanks!

Chickenball? Sorry, couldn't resist. :oops:
Consider reading @Beekissed and @Shadrach 's articles about managing roosters, and if you haven't been doing it, walk 'through' him out there, making him move out of your way at all times. I'd stop holding and petting him, or feeding him by hand. Concentrate on having him respect your space instead.
Maybe this will work out, and maybe not.
Mary

Wear jeans and boots out there, and be ready for possible misbehavior.
If you have small children or visitors, consider that crock pot sooner rather than later. People have many conflicting opinions about managing cockerels and roosters who are thinking bad thoughts; some may work some of the time, but nothing works all of the time! (paraphrasing P.T.Barnam?!)
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom