Aggression or just a weirdo?

You are boss. Do not let him do the wing dance for you, that's his way of challenging you. Wear pants and boots. If he wing dances for you, chase him. Stomp your feet. If he comes at you, use a long stick to knock him out of the way.

Show him that you're boss and he should leave you alone.

Sometimes they are just aggressive and you can't do anything about it except find a nice recipe.

Hope all goes well for you.

I just went out again and he was completely fine. Even came out of the coop when he heard me then just wandered around. He doesn’t seem to mind when I pay attention to the ladies

A way to defend yourself against an aggressive or threatening rooster is to flap your arms at it. Be aggressive back to it. I've done that to a threatening rooster, and he's stayed back for the most part.

I firmly told him no when he was dancing toward me, like I would the dog. He responded and walked away but then just watched me

They are not dogs or even mammals. Read some articles and be mindful as if your behavior appears threatening around his hens things could get worse (that especially applies to kids making lots of noise, running around the birds, etc...).

Whatever you do, don’t attack a mean rooster, which only eggs him on. Such tactics as kicking him, hitting him with a stick or broom, or squirting him with a water pistol will only make him feel even more threatened than he already feels.

To remove yourself as a tempting target, walk away, with haste if necessary. But don’t run, which invites an aggressive rooster to give chase. On the other hand, don’t turn the tables and chase the rooster. He may run and hide now, but invariably will come back later for a rematch.
"found this on Cackle hatchery" copied and pasted.

You are the giant who brings food, and not in the flock social order at all. Walk around out there, insist on all the birds respecting your personal space, and resist running around screaming at them!
Wear the boots and jeans, and carry a stick, or the feed bucket, so you can just happen to move him out of your way with an arm extension. He's supposed to be paying attention to his flockmates, not stalking you!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom