Aggression or just a weirdo?

Heather, one injury is more than enough!
Mary
You're right. My daughter was his saving grace but now he's made her feel uncomfortable, so his options just became limited to being culled or going to another home (they will be completely, honestly, and openly informed of his tendencies). He is constantly trying to fight with any and all other roosters and cockerels here and is awful to the fellow roosters in his flock. I don't like the way he is with the girls either. He will grab them by their combs and bite them very hard. They hate him. I don't blame them so he is put up if they're out and if he's out, they're put up. There is no reason for him to bite their combs so hard.

Edited to add that they have feathers completely covering their necks and always have so there's no other reason for him to be biting their combs.

My rooster, Meatball (5 months), has been doing a weird sideways run where he drops one wing and runs sideways towards the girls. I thought this was mating as that’s how it started out ending up. This morning though he did it to me and now I’m wondering if it’s aggressive behavior? Yesterday he was trying to sneak up behind me. He doesn’t like to be caught but if we can get to hold him, he loves to be petted and will fall asleep having his back scratched. We have kids so I won’t keep an aggressive rooster. Thanks!
Mine does that but never follows through with any aggression. I think he trying to be dominant but I ignore it to show him I'm the boss

My rooster, Meatball (5 months), has been doing a weird sideways run where he drops one wing and runs sideways towards the girls. I thought this was mating as that’s how it started out ending up. This morning though he did it to me and now I’m wondering if it’s aggressive behavior? Yesterday he was trying to sneak up behind me. He doesn’t like to be caught but if we can get to hold him, he loves to be petted and will fall asleep having his back scratched. We have kids so I won’t keep an aggressive rooster. Thanks!

Hello my Black Copper Marans rooster did me the same way,drop his wing pick up food and call his ladies over then one day he started flocking me the last and final time he got me knocked a hole in my knee,I understand he wants to protect his ladies,I searched every YouTube video to see how to fix this problem......finally I found one that was game chickens AKA fighting chickens yup last thing you’d want is a human fighter while the rooster has knives on😳 but anyways dominance I basically held him down in front of his ladies and held him down,we did this only when he would try to hit me it only took 4 times now we’re cool he respects me and no more holes in my knee caps good luck

This is my “Rooster” ( Mr. Mc Bak Bak) he has started doing this as well to my Hens and other Rooster. They are all about the same age as yours. He does this to all the flock and anyone that bothers his Ladies. He did this to my husband when he picked up one of the Hens and they squawked. I stand my ground and or step in front of him and make him move or go around me.
Only once have I had to pick him up and show him who’s boss (chicken snuggles) I hold him and walk around for a minute or two then set him down. This has so far always worked. He has never hurt anyone or been too aggressive with the flock.
I hope it helps. Good luck
B234FE8B-E6AB-4425-A1D4-36B96401FEFA.jpeg

I think dropping a wing and dancing around a hen is just to let her know who is boss and she should submit. I have never had a rooster try it on me, but when I do feel one is testing the waters on who should be boss, I just walk quickly towards them and they retreat when they see you comparative size and learn that you is da boss. I have no aggressive roosters and the yard boss has 4" spikes.

You are boss. Do not let him do the wing dance for you, that's his way of challenging you. Wear pants and boots. If he wing dances for you, chase him. Stomp your feet. If he comes at you, use a long stick to knock him out of the way.

Show him that you're boss and he should leave you alone.

Sometimes they are just aggressive and you can't do anything about it except find a nice recipe.

Hope all goes well for you.
Hi,
I totally agree with this answer. I had a rooster start to challenge me and did attack me twice. He was headed to the stew pot when another younger roo took his spot as Alpha. Chased him all over the place and he was never aggressive again. I do watch for it in my other Roos though. Start being aggressive right back at them making sure they are submissive to me before I walk away. I think all male animals can be like that. Good luck!

Roosters hate being humiliated in front of their ladies. I've only had a couple of roosters try to be aggressive towards me. I know what they're doing, challenging me, like they would with another rooster/cockerel. So, I snag him up, tuck him under my arm so that he can't spur me or get away, and then push his head down below his shoulders, towards the ground. Also thwock him on the top of the head with my thumb and middle finger, like you would if you were playing with a paper football, like a lead hen would do, to put him in his place. A few times doing that, they learn... she's the lead hen! Never have problems after that with them.

What has worked for me over the years is to teach a cockerel to respect my space from early on. As soon as I know I have a cockerel, the lessons begin. I will make him move out of my way if I’m going from point A to point B. If he starts giving me the stink eye, I will walk toward him and back him up. If he comes toward me, I will again back him up. Sometimes I walk through him just because I can. I will move him away from the food or water. None of this is done aggressively, just with confidence. I have not had an aggressive rooster since I started raising them this way. I will not tolerate an aggressive rooster. I have 5 grandkids all under the age of 5. The oldest ones like to see the chickens. If a rooster ever takes after one of the kids, he will be in the freezer ASAP.

Roosters hate being humiliated in front of their ladies. I've only had a couple of roosters try to be aggressive towards me. I know what they're doing, challenging me, like they would with another rooster/cockerel. So, I snag him up, tuck him under my arm so that he can't spur me or get away, and then push his head down below his shoulders, towards the ground. Also thwock him on the top of the head with my thumb and middle finger, like you would if you were playing with a paper football, like a lead hen would do, to put him in his place. A few times doing that, they learn... she's the lead hen! Never have problems after that with them.
Your comment of how you cured your Rooster "cracked" me up. ⭕.. I can't stop laughing. :lau:lau:lau:lau

Back
Top Bottom