Aggression or just a weirdo?

That's a domination move. He sees you as one of his hens and is trying to be in charge. Not necessarily aggression, but it could lead to that. When my young roos start doing this, I immediately pick them up and give them wuvvies (pets and snuggles) to let them know I'm bigger and in charge (and that I'm not intimidated by them). In fact, my year-old Buff Orpinton roo, Gerard, still gives me the wing dance, but I just pick him up and say, "Oh, sweet boy!" and hold him and give him pets. If your roo does start coming at you, don't take off. Stand your ground and maybe even 'charge' at him - so he knows you are the dominant roo. The suggestion to wear jeans and boots is a good one. Hope this helps!

Hello my Black Copper Marans rooster did me the same way,drop his wing pick up food and call his ladies over then one day he started flocking me the last and final time he got me knocked a hole in my knee,I understand he wants to protect his ladies,I searched every YouTube video to see how to fix this problem......finally I found one that was game chickens AKA fighting chickens yup last thing you’d want is a human fighter while the rooster has knives on😳 but anyways dominance I basically held him down in front of his ladies and held him down,we did this only when he would try to hit me it only took 4 times now we’re cool he respects me and no more holes in my knee caps good luck
My husband was talking about this the other day. He was also searching YouTube - to be prepared in case we wind up with an aggressive rooster. We recently added 6 new Australorps to our flock (they're now seven weeks old) and we're thinking at least one of them may be a cockerel. I've included a link to the video below, in case anyone is interested (it's not the same one you were talking about, but it sounds like the same technique that was demonstrated in the video you referred to). I'm glad to know it actually worked for you! I'm trying to get the young ones used to me - my other hens are very friendly. But you never know with a rooster, from what I'm reading on BYC (I have learned so much here!) . . .

My rooster, Meatball (5 months), has been doing a weird sideways run where he drops one wing and runs sideways towards the girls. I thought this was mating as that’s how it started out ending up. This morning though he did it to me and now I’m wondering if it’s aggressive behavior? Yesterday he was trying to sneak up behind me. He doesn’t like to be caught but if we can get to hold him, he loves to be petted and will fall asleep having his back scratched. We have kids so I won’t keep an aggressive rooster. Thanks!
He's protecting his girls. I spray mine with a hose. Just instinct, so deal or dispose of him.

All of my boys have danced around me.
That in itself is not aggressive.
Both of my mature current boys do it, and I have never had a problem.
They're 3 1/2 years old. Been doing it most of their lives. They let me do whatever I want with their girls. They trust me.
I had a cockerel that would chase me every morning some years back. Never hurt me. I'd just turn right around and give him some hugs.
The rest of the day he'd come and stand by me to protect me. Used to sit on my lap.
Sweetest guy ever.
Not that I recommend you letting a cockerel chase you. Rofl.

But obviously, each cockerel is different.
I've been very lucky with the cockerels I've had.
Of course. With children involved, it's a different matter.
He hasn't been aggressive yet. See how he goes.

Remember though that there are plenty of good cockerels out there. If he does turn out to be a jerk, don't waste time on him. Get yourself a gentleman.

My rooster, Meatball (5 months), has been doing a weird sideways run where he drops one wing and runs sideways towards the girls. I thought this was mating as that’s how it started out ending up. This morning though he did it to me and now I’m wondering if it’s aggressive behavior? Yesterday he was trying to sneak up behind me. He doesn’t like to be caught but if we can get to hold him, he loves to be petted and will fall asleep having his back scratched. We have kids so I won’t keep an aggressive rooster. Thanks!
Sorry this is a late reply: A rooster's wing dance is an attempt to force others (hens/people) to become submissive, (establishing his dominance). When he comes up behind you, yet turns away when you tell him no, does nothing except stop him for the moment, he will test you over and over. Some say the behavior modifications work, I never had any luck to turn an aggressive rooster, and now, I only give them 3 chances, but I do not have young children around, with children, they don't get a second chance (imo). However, there are many non-aggressive roosters that know their place and do their job wonderfully. You have chickens long enough, you can pretty much tell which males will be a problem right from the hatch.

Its also not necessarily your relationship with the rooster - 1 bird, but it affecrs your position with your hens, I made the mistake of reacting to my roosters' attacks, sort of natural to swing with your arm or leg when they surprise you or charge you. But that made him wary of me and he would huddle the hens into the corner - protecting from me. That caused the hens to be fearful of me. And he still jumped me when I wasn't ecpecting it.
I was told that if you can keep from fighting with him, and try these other ideas - he might grow out of his nasty hormonal teens and settle in to a good routine with you and the girls eventually. But fighting dangerous predators is his natural instinct and you don't want him to perceive you in that way.
Like someone said earlier, birds are wired differently. If you were hurt and fell down in your chicken run - they wouldn't hesitate to eat you, even the cuddly ones

I have two roosters, and they are both sweethearts, with humans and their flock. But when It’s time to go to bed, Jacob tries to keep Joe out of the coop by chasing him out into the pen. Poor Joe would walk around, waiting until he heard Jake fly up onto the roost, then he’d go inside for the night. I started letting Joe into the coop first at night, and I would make Jake wait outside. When I would finally let Jacob inside, I would do the dog whisperer routine and walk towards him, and point to the corner of the coop, letting him know that I am the cock of the walk in my flock, even though I’m a woman. I had to do it every night for about 10 days, but it is making Joe’s life a lot easier and happier. I want my roosters to know they’re in charge of the hands, but not in charge of everybody. This works for me, maybe it could work for you? They never even give me a dirty look, and I can feed them from my hands. Good luck, good luck, good luck!

I have two roosters, and they are both sweethearts, with humans and their flock. But when It’s time to go to bed, Jacob tries to keep Joe out of the coop by chasing him out into the pen. Poor Joe would walk around, waiting until he heard Jake fly up onto the roost, then he’d go inside for the night. I started letting Joe into the coop first at night, and I would make Jake wait outside. When I would finally let Jacob inside, I would do the dog whisperer routine and walk towards him, and point to the corner of the coop, letting him know that I am the cock of the walk in my flock, even though I’m a woman. I had to do it every night for about 10 days, but it is making Joe’s life a lot easier and happier. I want my roosters to know they’re in charge of the hens, but not in charge of everybody. This works for me, maybe it could work for you? They never even give me a dirty look, and I can feed them from my hands. Good luck, good luck, good luck!

You are boss. Do not let him do the wing dance for you, that's his way of challenging you. Wear pants and boots. If he wing dances for you, chase him. Stomp your feet. If he comes at you, use a long stick to knock him out of the way.

Show him that you're boss and he should leave you alone.

Sometimes they are just aggressive and you can't do anything about it except find a nice recipe.

Hope all goes well for you.
“Find a nice recipe” 😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom