Aggression

How about the coop?
Beautiful yard.....but I don't see the coop and run?

Yes, 7wo young cockerels can start to spar and dominate,
and start grabbing the girls.
2 males make exponentially more trouble due to competition.
Might decide now what to do with those boys.
If you don't plan on hatching chicks, a male is unnecessary,
and can be a real pain in the butt and injurious to young children.

Sorry, I didn’t add the coop because they were fighting in the yard. Here it is. Once they are fully grown the coop will be a little small. It’s 6ft wide and 5 1/2 ft long. You can’t see the nesting boxes extended in the back in this picture. I was expecting to have a few cockerels in the batch and end up getting rid of them, but now I’m having second thoughts. Even though they are annoying the girls sometimes, they’re also showing protection over them which I really like. And really, I’m just going to feel terrible removing them from their family. So the thought is keeping them and expanding. Plus all the free room to roam the yard. My neighbors are fine with the noise too.

Attachments

• 46473457-1EE2-4184-807B-EAA6DC84D128.jpeg
    46473457-1EE2-4184-807B-EAA6DC84D128.jpeg
    505.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Sorry, I didn’t add the coop because they were fighting in the yard. Here it is. Once they are fully grown the coop will be a little small. It’s 6ft wide and 5 1/2 ft long. You can’t see the nesting boxes extended in the back in this picture. I was expecting to have a few cockerels in the batch and end up getting rid of them, but now I’m having second thoughts. Even though they are annoying the girls sometimes, they’re also showing protection over them which I really like. And really, I’m just going to feel terrible removing them from their family. So the thought is keeping them and expanding. Plus all the free room to roam the yard. My neighbors are fine with the noise too.
If your neighbors are fine with the noise and no-ones drawing blood then you can keep the roos. If any gets aggresive towards you, you need to get rid of them, but roos fighting to establish dominance is normal.

Really this first lot of boys will be the hardest to thin they are your first.
Once you see how bad one can be versus how good one can be it will become less sentimental and picking keepers becomes very easy.:)

Yeah, that makes sense. It’s so hard. I didn’t think I’d be so attached to them. How old are they once they settle into their temperament?

Back
Top Bottom