Aggressive 2-day old chick?!

Jowsi002

Songster
Feb 6, 2020
Eastern Connecticut
I have one chick that hatched ~2 days earlier than the next 2. She’s about twice the size of the others(all supposed to be about the same size birds as adults) and she pecks the sh!t out of me already. I tried keeping one of the 2 with her, ready to snatch the newer one if need be and it lasted maybe 1.5 seconds before the older was attacking it. Is there a way to introduce them so they’ll get along? Or should I just leave little a-hole by her lonesome with no hope for integrating another with her?

Take a piece of hardware cloth and make a little chick corral for it for a few days until it gets used to the others, and the others get stronger. I had a similar situation a few years back when one hatch a few days early too.
I use this, made out of 1/2" HC, as a chick jail.
But I have a pretty big brooder so it fits fine.

Also make sure they have enough space. :)
Yes....
...and that they are not too hot.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/

Also make sure they have enough space. :)
I use this, made out of 1/2" HC, as a chick jail.
But I have a pretty big brooder so it fits fine.

Yes....
...and that they are not too hot.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-chick-heat-blurb.75619/
A fee things just to make sure of

Where is the little one being pecked? Beak, eyes, toes, wings, ect.
Breeds?
Does the little one have an egg tooth still?
Do they have food?

They’re in an 18 X 24 inch brooder, temperature ranges from 95 to ~80 degrees, two sets of water and food dishes at separate ends. The older is a Rhode Island Red/Bielefelder mix, the younger 2 are Bielefelders. The 2 do still have their egg tooth but the mix goes for whatever it can get at, mostly eyes or back of the head.

It may be helpful to have a bit of a larger Brooder. You have 3 sq ft, which is a minimum size for three chicks that are less than four weeks old. Keeping the other one in the little chick jail for a few days may help! Good luck! 😊
This, and a bit lower of a temperature. 95 is a bit too hot.

Back
Top Bottom