Aggressive 20 week old rooster

Cabeomas

In the Brooder
May 22, 2020
Today our rooster chased after my 6 and 4 year old. Can roosters really be tamed? Right now the dogs and chickens get along but if he's willing to go after the kids I'm assuming he'd go after the dogs too. Just trying to decide if we're going to keep him.

Edit: I obviously care more about the kiddos but they are never out there without my husband or myself, whereas the dogs are.

Last edited:
I had a super aggressive rooster that attacked the other roosters. It was so bad that we had to put him in isolation away from everyone. A few months in solitary seemed to do the trick. We haven’t had any more issues with him since.

He's attacking your children?!? I'd be worried about them, not the dogs, and invite that bird to dinner.
Mary
I dunno, my Dominique roo attacked me when I was younger. Turns out he didn’t do well confined in the small run and needed space to get his energy out. He did much better as a free range bird. Maybe salty boy needs some free space time??

I want to say that young children do need to learn how to behave out there; running around, screaming, waving hands, all will not go well with many cockerels or roosters. However, these same children can be injured, sometimes badly, by roosters, and it's not a good situation.
Mary
I agree. Perhaps despurring would be an option?

He's attacking your children?!? I'd be worried about them, not the dogs, and invite that bird to dinner.
Mary
I only meant the dogs are out there with less supervision than the kids, who are never out there alone with them.

I want to say that young children do need to learn how to behave out there; running around, screaming, waving hands, all will not go well with many cockerels or roosters. However, these same children can be injured, sometimes badly, by roosters, and it's not a good situation.
Mary
I absolutely agree. My kids were walking toward me calmly and he chased them. The kids don't chase the chickens. He went after hubby this morning(just found out).

Back
Top Bottom