Aggressive 8 week old

Laideswholay

Hatching
Nov 27, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Hi, we have 3x 8 week old chickens we got at 5 weeks - one arauncana, one Orpington and one Australorp.
They are in a smaller coop next to our large coop and run so our older x4 ladies can see them and get used to them.
the Arauncana was pecking the Orpington and making her bleed, always in the same place on her neck.
We seperated the aggressor and cut their coop in half with wire for a week to try to stop the behaviour. We re introduced today and she still won’t leave the Orpington alone! Chases her and pecks her skin. Doesn’t touch the australorp - so we have separated her again but wondering if she’s ever going to stop?

When we introduce to the larger flock will this put her in her place? Is she just a massive bully? Should I just return her to the breeder?
ahhh I’ve never had this issue before! Advice would be most welcome :)

I had this problem recently. I treated the pullet being pecked with Blue Kote as it was bleeding a bit. (Pecking pin feathers on the feet.) I separated the bully, then pecked her back when she misbehaved. This helped somewhat. Then I discovered my bully was a cockerel. He has since been rehomed.

I'm sure others will chime in with good advice for you.

They are in a smaller coop next to our large coop and run so our older x4 ladies can see them and get used to them.
How long have they been there?

When we introduce to the larger flock will this put her in her place? Is she just a massive bully?
They might. Time will tell.

Could you post some pictures of your chickens?
And their enclosure(s)?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Laideswholay
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1606516934706.png

How long have they been there?

They might. Time will tell.

And their enclosure(s)?

Oh, and.... Welcome to BYC! @Laideswholay
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2427615
Hello! Photos posted above.
we are Melbourne, Aus so it’s summer here. 20-30 degrees each day
They have been in their coop for 3 weeks - we did bring them inside at night when they were younger for extra warmth as they were still feathering out.... and still kind of seem to be?
im wondering if she is a rooster but it’s hard to tell with that breed right? She’s meant to be a hen. But the breeder does have a rooster return and swap which is good....

Back
Top Bottom