Aggressive Barred Rock Rooster

Ok... Need some advise here. WE have 12 chickens, 10 hens of different breeds and two roosters. Caitlin is an EE and is fine. Rocky is the Barred Rock Rooster (20 weeks old) and has an aggression problem when my wife is around.
Our birds free range in our property. If my wife is out doing yard work, weeding, etc, Rocky will attack her when her back is turned. Lately he has been more aggressive to her at any time and not just when her back is turned. She has clobbered him with empty milk jugs in the past to set him back, but Saturday, he ran up to her and attacked her ankles. I intercepted him and chased him away.
Today, she went out to open the coop. We have them closed in their 12x12 yard and the coop to get the hens used to the nesting boxes. Our coop is raised up about 18", so I build a ramp that we move when we closed the main door. She opened the door and was placing the ramp where it needs to go and Rocky jumped on her back and began pecking her. She got him off of her, but he kept attacking. She fought back, but it wasn't until the other Rooster, Caitlin, went after him that she could get out of the run.
Needless to say, She isn't happy and is thinking about Rooster soup!!
With only 10 hens right now, I think two roosters is too much anyway.
Any ideas on how to make him back down, or does Rocky need to go bye-bye?
Ok... Need some advise here. WE have 12 chickens, 10 hens of different breeds and two roosters. Caitlin is an EE and is fine. Rocky is the Barred Rock Rooster (20 weeks old) and has an aggression problem when my wife is around.
Our birds free range in our property. If my wife is out doing yard work, weeding, etc, Rocky will attack her when her back is turned. Lately he has been more aggressive to her at any time and not just when her back is turned. She has clobbered him with empty milk jugs in the past to set him back, but Saturday, he ran up to her and attacked her ankles. I intercepted him and chased him away.
Today, she went out to open the coop. We have them closed in their 12x12 yard and the coop to get the hens used to the nesting boxes. Our coop is raised up about 18", so I build a ramp that we move when we closed the main door. She opened the door and was placing the ramp where it needs to go and Rocky jumped on her back and began pecking her. She got him off of her, but he kept attacking. She fought back, but it wasn't until the other Rooster, Caitlin, went after him that she could get out of the run.
Needless to say, She isn't happy and is thinking about Rooster soup!!
With only 10 hens right now, I think two roosters is too much anyway.
Any ideas on how to make him back down, or does Rocky need to go bye-bye?
O GOODNESS yes one roo is totally enough, but 2 roos no not a good idea at all unless they are for fighting off predators in a free range situation..? you dont need this bad roo, except for dinner .lol. he is a bad roo and i would never used him for breeding with that mean streak it would just be making more just like him , so soup it is...!!! , but if you dont want to do the killing by hand your self i would shoot him,aim for the head when he is eating , its human and he wont even hear the bang & so problem solved..!! and GOOD GOING to your EE roo he saved your wife..!!!! hes a keeper...!!!:thumbsup

I give my roo a bit of a chase around the barn yard every now and again, simply b/c I feel like we both could use the exercise. The 2 BE cockerels get pushed away from the feed troughs when I'm filling them. I intend for them to know that the girls should eat first. Those cockerels shreek like drama queen girls when they get whumped with the FF spoon.
I do the same but now i only have to point a finger and say stop and they know the drill, or else its more fun rooster cases around the barn...lol... :lol: :lau :lol:

hi,
i am having the exact same issues with my Barred rock rooster Buddy. In fact he was named buddy because he was my buddy for the better part of his life. He would hang out with me, would come when called, would sit on my lap and take a nap, very friendly. Just in the past month his aggression towards me has made it very difficult to go outside when the flock is free ranging. today he has taken to charging at me through the fence while he is in the 20'x 8' run. we have 13 hens and 2 roosters (9 barred rock including Buddy, and 6 Golden Laced Wyandotte, including one rooster.). I was hoping it was just the hormonal changes in the young rooster causing the aggression. Buddy is also the submissive rooster to the Wyandotte rooster.
Reading this thread i'm finding that this may not be something that will pass. the aggression will carry on and may even be passed to the next generation. Is this true? and has anyone tried to work with aggressive roosters?

hi,
i am having the exact same issues with my Barred rock rooster Buddy. In fact he was named buddy because he was my buddy for the better part of his life. He would hang out with me, would come when called, would sit on my lap and take a nap, very friendly. Just in the past month his aggression towards me has made it very difficult to go outside when the flock is free ranging. today he has taken to charging at me through the fence while he is in the 20'x 8' run. we have 13 hens and 2 roosters (9 barred rock including Buddy, and 6 Golden Laced Wyandotte, including one rooster.). I was hoping it was just the hormonal changes in the young rooster causing the aggression. Buddy is also the submissive rooster to the Wyandotte rooster.
Reading this thread i'm finding that this may not be something that will pass. the aggression will carry on and may even be passed to the next generation. Is this true? and has anyone tried to work with aggressive roosters?
See above tasty solution to annoying barred rock rooster!

Back
Top Bottom