Aggressive Bourbon Red Tom

LadyKjo

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 28, 2014
Eau Claire, Michigan
We bought a pair of adult approximately 1 year old Bourbon Red turkeys while we are waiting for our little bourbon red poults to grow. One is a Tom and the other hen. We have them in a pen and the poults are in the barn to grow as they are only a few weeks old. The Tom non-stop struts and mates his girl incessantly. For the first week, the tom was fine, minding his own business when we come in to feed, water and clean. He's been with us for 3 weeks now. Recently, though, the tom has been starting to get extremely aggressive, charges the gate as we are opening it, and when we are in the pen, we have to carry a broom or stick to make him back off or he will charge us. He is a very large bird, so it is quite an experience to see him do a full charge, and sometimes jump at us. We've tried just ignoring him or just pushing him away with the broom, but he will sneak up behind us and try to charge. Are bourbon reds normally this aggressive, or is Mr. Tom bound for freezer camp? Once our poults are grown we have discussed culling him as long as we have a tom in the bunch we are raising (right now we can't tell their sex). Any advice on how to teach him to not be so aggressive or to show him that we are the boss? This is our first time raising turkeys, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I had a very aggressive one too, however, I didn't know his breed. I also had to hold a broom to prevent being attacked. I couldn't find a solution so I had to give him away. However I was lucky that I found a home for him, maybe, you won't be so lucky and therefore need to put him in the freezer :/

My bourbon red tom is not aggressive at all. He follows us around the yard, strutting and keeping just out of arm's reach - I'm pretty sure he thinks he's a dog.

I don't have any reasonable advice for getting your aggressive turkey to chill out - most of the advice for aggressive roosters is along the lines of "pick him up and carry him around" or other physical restraint techniques which can be problematic with a fully grown turkey (they're a LOT stronger than chickens). But rest assured not all bourbon red toms are aggressive, you may have better luck with one of the little ones.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I might just have to wait for the little ones to mature and hope one is a Tom. I have a feeling this guy wasn't very socialized with humans. The person we bought him from just said he was getting out of turkeys, and he had a huge set up with birds ranging from tiny quail to Emu, so I am thinking the tom was just put in a pen and not really interacted with at all. My little ones are used to people and follow us around in the barn so I am hoping their temperaments will be better than this big guy.

Yes, I heard about picking roos up and carrying them around, but Mr. Tom is probably close to 30 pounds and his spurs are going on an inch long and look wicked, so I decided that option wasn't for me. And as far as giving him away, I am sure someone would take him but he would probably end up as dinner anyway due to his aggression, so I might as well be the one responsible for his fate as I took him on. I have a while to go before we can tell who is a hen and who is a Tom on the little ones, so Mr. Tom has a reprieve for now.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I might just have to wait for the little ones to mature and hope one is a Tom. I have a feeling this guy wasn't very socialized with humans. The person we bought him from just said he was getting out of turkeys, and he had a huge set up with birds ranging from tiny quail to Emu, so I am thinking the tom was just put in a pen and not really interacted with at all. My little ones are used to people and follow us around in the barn so I am hoping their temperaments will be better than this big guy.

Yes, I heard about picking roos up and carrying them around, but Mr. Tom is probably close to 30 pounds and his spurs are going on an inch long and look wicked, so I decided that option wasn't for me. And as far as giving him away, I am sure someone would take him but he would probably end up as dinner anyway due to his aggression, so I might as well be the one responsible for his fate as I took him on. I have a while to go before we can tell who is a hen and who is a Tom on the little ones, so Mr. Tom has a reprieve for now.
Your tom is displaying behavior that is typically associated with a tom turkey that was imprinted by people when it was very young. Turkeys that get imprinted on people lose the ability to differentiate between turkeys and people which causes them to use their turkey manners against people as well as against turkeys.

Turkeys that are not imprinted by people will avoid contact with people. They will not get within touching distance unless forced to.

Yeah my turkeys are so wild and seriously keep there distance!! They will run to my morning call and join the feed line, but they will never let me get close! My chickens are a different story!.LOL

Last edited:
Your tom is displaying behavior that is typically associated with a tom turkey that was imprinted by people when it was very young. Turkeys that get imprinted on people lose the ability to differentiate between turkeys and people which causes them to use their turkey manners against people as well as against turkeys.

Turkeys that are not imprinted by people will avoid contact with people. They will not get within touching distance unless forced to.
I never thought of that, and thought just the opposite. Thank you for that advice. Yesterday I had a friend over that was raised around turkeys and chickens and when I mentioned how mean the tom was, he just scooped him up and held him for quite a while and walked around with him next to me. Today, my Tom avoided me like the plague at feeding time, so maybe that might have helped. I'll wait to see if it lasts.

I'll wait to see if it lasts.

Actually, if that worked and you're able, I'd pick him up and carry him around again as soon as he gets close enough for you to grab him in order to reinforce the lesson. And then repeat as needed until he stays outside of grabbing distance :D

We bought a pair of adult approximately 1 year old Bourbon Red turkeys while we are waiting for our little bourbon red poults to grow. One is a Tom and the other hen. We have them in a pen and the poults are in the barn to grow as they are only a few weeks old. The Tom non-stop struts and mates his girl incessantly. For the first week, the tom was fine, minding his own business when we come in to feed, water and clean. He's been with us for 3 weeks now. Recently, though, the tom has been starting to get extremely aggressive, charges the gate as we are opening it, and when we are in the pen, we have to carry a broom or stick to make him back off or he will charge us. He is a very large bird, so it is quite an experience to see him do a full charge, and sometimes jump at us. We've tried just ignoring him or just pushing him away with the broom, but he will sneak up behind us and try to charge. Are bourbon reds normally this aggressive, or is Mr. Tom bound for freezer camp? Once our poults are grown we have discussed culling him as long as we have a tom in the bunch we are raising (right now we can't tell their sex). Any advice on how to teach him to not be so aggressive or to show him that we are the boss? This is our first time raising turkeys, so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I have a 50# Broad Breasted Bronze Tom. He is sneaky. He will Christmas Goose you as soon as you drop your guard. His pecking force will make your meanest baddest roo's peck seem like it came from a Girl Scout!
I only put up with it because he is going to feed 25 family members this coming holiday season!
00j0j_f9L7IHr9TaS_600x450.jpg

They are eating machines!!

Back
Top Bottom