Aggressive Brat

jlynn1515

Chirping
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon, USA
Hello! I have a chicken that is usually docile. She laid her egg this morning so I don't believe that is weighing into this.

Usual behavior when I step outside is she runs to get a pat on the back and snacks.
Today, out of the blue She is puffing herself up real big, making ugly sounds at me, and not allowing me to pick her up or return her to the pen.

What should I do? Have any of you had this?!

Thanks!

Jessie

Okay, first it sounds like you have a broody hen.
Did you have her egg in you hand when she got that attitude?
No I didn't. I had gathered eggs earlier and it was inside the home. I called all my other girls in and they all happily trotted after me. I noticed one was missing and I found her dust bathing next to our crawl space. That's when the attitude started. Didn't touch her or anything. Just acknowledged her by softly saying, "oh! There you are!" and BOOM up, puffed, and yelling as me.

Hm...

Okay. Maybe... How old is she?... Maybe if she is young, she could be changing,
I hope she starts being nice to you! Maybe, I am not sure, but she could have heard one of the words you said in the past and not in a nice way. Could that happen? I don't know.
Like if she was at a different owner once or something weird like that.
I am sorry if I am no help! Good luck and let me know if anything changes!

-The Angry Hen

Hm...

Okay. Maybe... How old is she?... Maybe if she is young, she could be changing,
I hope she starts being nice to you! Maybe, I am not sure, but she could have heard one of the words you said in the past and not in a nice way. Could that happen? I don't know.
Like if she was at a different owner once or something weird like that.
I am sorry if I am no help! Good luck and let me know if anything changes!

-The Angry Hen

I got her when she was only 6 weeks old. She is just days over a year old now. We have always had such a sweet girl in her! So frustrating. Not sure what's happening. She always LOVES to get her back rubbed and follow us around. Today she wants nothing to do with me and gets aggressive when I even just attempt to be near her. She has never been around anyone who has spoken angrily at her. Today is the first day she is being a "naughty girl". Shoot.

Aw, that's not nice.
Make sure you tell her: "I won't hurt you, you know that."
I am sorry to hear about her being mean, I wish you the best of luck for her returning to her normal self! Have a good day, and don't lose hope yet! She'll probably come back!
-The Angry Hen

Aw, that's not nice.
Make sure you tell her: "I won't hurt you, you know that."
I am sorry to hear about her being mean, I wish you the best of luck for her returning to her normal self! Have a good day, and don't lose hope yet! She'll probably come back!
-The Angry Hen
Thanks so much for your time! I appreciate your input! I hope you have a wonderful day as well :)

Jessie

Lol even hens can have a moody day. I wouldn't worry too much.
I hope that's the case! I love this girl, but my 5 and 3 year old help with chicken duties so I sure hope she straightens up or they wont be able to!

Thankfully, I was able to get her back in the run... it had to be completely by her own decision. I just waited at the gate until I was able to close her inside.

I would have just waited her out in the yard all day long, but I have 4 dogs that also need to use the yard and only 1 is chicken-friendly. So suck it up, buttercup... get in the run!

Back
Top Bottom