Aggressive chick!!!!!

BantamUsername

Chirping
Feb 26, 2018
Hello!
I've been having problems with a aggressive chick,
The Aggressive chick pecks the other chick's wings and tail.
All the chicks are rhode island red female.

Also i don't think it's a pecking order because the other chicks don't peck back.

Also I separated the aggressive chick,
But then the aggressive chick started chirping like crazy.

And the aggressive chick isn't playing with the other chicks, because the aggressive chick keeps pulling the other chicks wing and tail feathers

Also the aggressive chick is stopping the other chicks from Eating their food.

Last edited:
How old are these chicks? Chicks do not develop a pecking order until they are 4-6 weeks old. I had a 2 day old chick who pecked everyone’s eyes, and she stopped after I removed her overnight to her own space in the brooder. She was fine after that. If these are older chicks, I would separate the chick that is doing the pecking. Then after some time, if it repeated the behavior, it would be removed a longer period. Now, they could be starting to develop the pecking order, and that pecking can be normal, but no chick should allowed to be hurt or bullied.

Hold old are they? what kind of breed? I have had RIR (rhode island reds) and they can be quite mean as chicks from my own experiance but the never did real damage. like Farm life101 said if it's not hurting them badly i.e drawing blood just put it back and watch it. if it does go so far as to draw blood or worse then best to put it down as I don't think keeping a chicken that showed loads of aggression as a chick would be good to have in the flock but thats my take of it.

How old are these chicks? Chicks do not develop a pecking order until they are 4-6 weeks old. I had a 2 day old chick who pecked everyone’s eyes, and she stopped after I removed her overnight to her own space in the brooder. She was fine after that. If these are older chicks, I would separate the chick that is doing the pecking. Then after some time, if it repeated the behavior, it would be removed a longer period. Now, they could be starting to develop the pecking order, and that pecking can be normal, but no chick should allowed to be hurt or bullied.
The chicks are 10 day old
Rhode island red females

Hold old are they? what kind of breed? I have had RIR (rhode island reds) and they can be quite mean as chicks from my own experiance but the never did real damage. like Farm life101 said if it's not hurting them badly i.e drawing blood just put it back and watch it. if it does go so far as to draw blood or worse then best to put it down as I don't think keeping a chicken that showed loads of aggression as a chick would be good to have in the flock but thats my take of it.
They are 10 day old Rhode island red females

:welcome

How many do you have? How much space do they have? Over crowding can cause that type of behavior.

If she's not drawing blood, I would not worry too much about it right now. If possible, put in another feeder and waterer.

Here are pictures of the aggressive Rhode island red chick

Attachments

• IMG_20180319_094732.jpg
    IMG_20180319_094732.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180319_094655.jpg
    IMG_20180319_094655.jpg
    361.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180319_094732.jpg
    IMG_20180319_094732.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20180319_094718.jpg