Aggressive chicken during molting

rach1990

Hatching
Nov 24, 2016
Surrey
I'm new to this chicken thing. But I need some advice on normality.
My Meredith is going though a molt and when I was doing my chicken checks in their cage I decided it was a good idea to stroke her and to my surprise.. Got pecked.. Is agressive behavior normal for molting chickens?

welcome-byc.gif
Molting is stressful. and may also be uncomfortable. She just wants to be left alone until she is beautiful once again.

G’Day from down under rach1990
frow.gif
Welcome!

When chickens are moulting the new pin feathers are very sensitive and touching them can hurt them; that may be why she pecked you. It is a good idea to keep handling to a minimum when they are moulting.

I have a hen who gets quite sulky when she moults, spending a lot of time in the coop away from her friends.

Moulting is hard on them sometimes.

I hope you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

I have limited experience with a small flock for nearly 4 years - the others have more experience than I , but..........

It would seem that a painful experience would make the chicken run? Or could it be a chicken in molt can also be broody?

Broodiness is the only time I've had any of mine try to peck me.

Poor Meredith has about 30,000 needle like structures sticking out of her skin. (Well maybe not that many but she thinks she does). Chickens get grouchy when molting. The pin feathers poke them when they move, the molting chicken can't rest, can't dust bathe, can't preen themselves properly. Yep, I think I'd be a bit grumpy, too.

Back
Top Bottom