Aggressive chicken

Chez Poulette

Chirping
Mar 5, 2021
We have 6 chickens, 2- reds, 2- rocks, and 2- olive eggers. They are 1 year this week.
they have a very large coop and enclosed run with a lot of enrichment and attention.
lare in the fall our reds started feather picking and eating the feathers of their flock mates. We put pinless peepers on them right away and it stopped the behavior. They wore them through the winter and we took them off recently. No feather picking at all from them.
our largest rock has been aggressive with our smallest red. She is not eating the feathers, just chasing her, trapping her in corners and attacking her. She has pulled out feathers at the base of her tail and her chest. The red looks awful, skinny and she stopped laying for a bit. We tried to put peepers on her but she gets them off in about 30 seconds.
tonight, she trapped the red in the coop and attacked her, chased her out of the coop and would not stop going after her.
we locked her out of the coop and she is in the run tonight.
I feel awful, we pamper them and now she is out there with no roost, or her sisters. But I can’t let her continue to go after the red. Our run is completely covered in 1/4 inch hardware cloth even the roof, it is buried 3 feet down and 3 feet out underground as well, and we also have corrugated plastic over 1/2 so she will stay dry.
it is forecast to be rainy and 53 in our area tonight, so she should be okay.
what can I do to stop this?

Remove your Rock from the group and put her in a cage away from the flock where she cant be seen by the other birds in your flock. Keep her caged for 2 weeks, provide her feed and water, clean the cage as necessary.
Then after 2 weeks reintroduce her back to the flock. The tables will be turned and she'll be knocked down to the bottom of the pecking order.

Remove your Rock from the group and put her in a cage away from the flock where she cant be seen by the other birds in your flock. Keep her caged for 2 weeks, provide her feed and water, clean the cage as necessary.
Then after 2 weeks reintroduce her back to the flock. The tables will be turned and she'll be knocked down to the bottom of the pecking order.
I don’t have a place to put her out of sight. I used a dog fence to section her off from the others, she has feed and water and I put a 5 gallon bucket on it’s side with a nesting pad for her to lay in.
my plan was to use a cat carrier in the coop at night so she doesn’t have to stay out in the run all night.
could this work? My daughter is coming home this weekend and will help me try to get the peepers on her again.

I don’t have a place to put her out of sight. I used a dog fence to section her off from the others, she has feed and water and I put a 5 gallon bucket on it’s side with a nesting pad for her to lay in.
my plan was to use a cat carrier in the coop at night so she doesn’t have to stay out in the run all night.
could this work? My daughter is coming home this weekend and will help me try to get the peepers on her again.
Is it just pecking order? Why after a year? Or is something else wrong?

Back
Top Bottom