Aggressive chicks

Knittyikitty99

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2021
Hi, we hatched 4 seabrights about a month ago (2 male, 2 female through egg DNA). At about 2 weeks of age, one of the males pecked the other male and a female until their heads were bleeding. We separated them and left the aggressive chick with the other female (he seems to have no problem with her). So everyone is doing fine, but whenever we get them together the male goes after the same two chicks. They are terrified of him. At some point we need to put them back together again in our barn - we have a flock of 8 that they will join. Any suggestions? Has anyone heard of such a young aggressive chick?

Hi, we hatched 4 seabrights about a month ago (2 male, 2 female through egg DNA). At about 2 weeks of age, one of the males pecked the other male and a female until their heads were bleeding. We separated them and left the aggressive chick with the other female (he seems to have no problem with her). So everyone is doing fine, but whenever we get them together the male goes after the same two chicks. They are terrified of him. At some point we need to put them back together again in our barn - we have a flock of 8 that they will join. Any suggestions? Has anyone heard of such a young aggressive chick?
Putting that bad boy back in a sub-flock of 4 with another cockerel isn't a good idea. You will have one too many boys. I would rehome the mean boy.

I would put his girlfriend in with the other 3. Isolate him for a week or so. If you let him near the others again a week later and they are still afraid and he is still a terror, I would get rid of him.

Back
Top Bottom