1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive drake!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hilarys Home, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Hilarys Home

Hilarys Home New Egg

Jul 31, 2015
    Norfolk, UK
    My 3 female runners have just been nesting for a month unfortunately all ducklings were picked off but they are now back with the drake and all seems back to normal.

However the drake is not a happy duck. Usually the females allow him to do what he wants to do but at the moment they are reluctant partners and he is getting really aggressive with one particular female and chases her relentlessly, so much so that she is often to be found on her own rather than with the other ducks, which is unheard of as they are never found apart.

I don't suppose there is anything that I can do to help and I am assuming they will settle again in time but any snippets of information would be appreciated. I am worried that he might hurt or even kill her but perhaps I am worrying unnecessarily?

Thanks, Sharon

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Drakes can be oversexed monsters - plain and simple. If you are really concerned, you might separate him from the ducks until they come back into lay.

3. Quackalackin

Quackalackin Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    you probably just need to separate the drake. I separate my two drakes from the nine hens because they gang up and attack specific girls and the girls would often end up limp or secluding themselves. I separate my drakes in a dog run within the hens yard during the day and at night the hens and drakes sleep in two separate stalls. So they are separated 100% of the time. I only let them together if I'm with them, and then I chase off the drakes if they pester any duck that attempts running away from them or if they both gang up on one duck. They seem to be slowly learning... But boy do my drakes hate me from all the secluding and chasing :p

4. Hilarys Home

Hilarys Home New Egg

Jul 31, 2015
    Norfolk, UK
    Thankyou for your replies I am keeping a close watch on him today while we are at home and will make a decision based on that

Sharon x

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by