Aggressive Drake

apollora

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2013
Walla Walla, WA
Looking for some feedback on how to deal with an aggressive drake. I have one drake and four female ducks (three females of breeding age)

A couple of my ducks went broody and just hatched some ducklings within the past couple days. The drake is very aggressive with the ducklings, pecking them and keeps chasing them off or carrying them around by the foot etc.

I’ve had chickens for years but this is my first duck flock so I’m unsure if this is normal behavior that will pass or if I need to cull him.

Remove the drake asap drakes can’t always be trusted and that is what your seeing. Wait till the ducklings are 3 weeks or older try him with everyone then if he is still aggressive remove him again he may even try mating with them and that a Nono till laying age. If he still won’t accept them as part of the flock then decide as what to do next. He can even sleep in a dog crate in the coop at night so he can still be with everyone but can’t do no harm.

Remove the drake asap drakes can’t always be trusted and that is what your seeing. Wait till the ducklings are 3 weeks or older try him with everyone then if he is still aggressive remove him again he may even try mating with them and that a Nono till laying age. If he still won’t accept them as part of the flock then decide as what to do next. He can even sleep in a dog crate in the coop at night so he can still be with everyone but can’t do no harm.
Thank you! The chicken run is currently empty so I will move him into there until the ducklings are older and see if he will play nice.

Back
Top Bottom