Aggressive Duckling Soon to be Doomed

Omniskies

Songster
11 Years
Mar 7, 2008
Missouri
I have a 6-8 week old Indian Runner who is finally getting on my last nerve.

She hurt her leg so I brought her inside to treat. The leg is bruised and she doesn't like to stand on it. I have her in with two other ducklings so she has company without getting trampled like what was happening in the brooder.

Every time I would put food and water down for her she'd immediately start biting at my hand. Nothing that hurt - just lots of nibbling.

Now that she's doing better I've been trying to hold her daily to mellow her out. Whenever you move she will lift her head, open her mouth and threaten to bite.

After four days of this without her settling down, she's now decided to get her point across by hissing and biting. Still nothing that hurts, but it's become increasingly annoying.

She will eat and drink out of containers you hold up in front of her. Her leg is still sore, but she can walk. When she's in your lap she never tries to escape. Right now she's even asleep in my lap. But I know the moment I go to pick her up or adjust my position she'll wake up and promptly try to bite.

Any suggestions on getting this to stop? I'd like to keep her but I'm not going to keep an aggressive duck. I know Indian Runners tend to be more high strung than other breeds, but this is _bad_.

JMO- But it sounds more defensive than aggresive. It bites when you pester it, it doesn't go out of its way to bite. Git yourself a pet that likes to be handled, most ducks do not.

I am not experienced with ducks but I am assuming like any other ainmal that is it a warning...sounds like she is annoyed and being defensive or she is still in pain.

The thing is, she attacks for any reason at all. I'm not looking for a lap dog - or lap duck as the case may be - I'm trying to figure out why she's overly aggressive - or overly defensive.

I've treated dozens and dozens of ducklings and goslings in the past. This is the first one that has gone out of its way to just be nasty. If I move my hand she goes after it.

I understand ducks are spastic and that Indian Runners always act like they're hopped up on speed and hallucinate people into being giant foxes, but this is the first time I've come across something this bad. If anyone's had experience with this, I'd like to know if your duck settled down or if you were forced to find a new home.

And by settled down, I mean the demon-spirit that possessed it was convinced to relocate so the duck could resume being a skittish, but at least somewhat friendly, duck
smile.png

Dang I have no idea. I had ducks (runners and muscovies) and now have anconas a harlequin ducklings and I have never seen one aggressive that did not have a reason such as pain or the nest being threatened etc.

Gosh I wish I could help but I am at a loss.

Last edited:
Only experience I had with aggression was a huge embden gander, and when he bit, it did hurt. He took out chunks of skin and bruised me so badly, it would stay for weeks. I haven't seen a more aggressive bird.

If your duck is sitting in your lap asleep, I wouldn't call it aggressive. From what I've heard, male ducks tend to bite their owner's skin, more than anything because of their nature during the mating season. It has something to do with courting.

Quote:
As the punch line from the old joke says-if it hurts when you raise your arm don't raise your arm.
big_smile.png

my duck hates my guts..and everyone elses guts! i just let him live in the back yard and leave him alone..he just waddles around all day quacking at everything. at least he is pretty to look at!
lol.png

Meh, just let her live out her days in a warm, sunny backyard, and don't try to pet her.
lol.png

My runner's fine with me.
hmm.png

And my last one thought he could 'dominate' me, but he was never aggressive...

How do you know it's a she? We have a runner duckling that hatched on 5/13, and has been in a brooder with our 3 other ducklings that are half runner. The full runner is aggressive towards all our other birds if they come near the group of 4 when they are free ranging. Makes me think this is a drake, but still too early to tell.

Back
Top Bottom