Aggressive duckling?

tleblanc

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
Indianapolis
I have 2, 1 month old runner ducks. One is loud the other is so pleasant. They are both very spoiled and like to sit on my lap al of the time. Today I let them meet our new chicks. Dally (loud one) decided to bite the chicks and seven tried to bite ones head off. What do I do?!

Also, I need help figuring out the sex of the ducks please!

Introducktions do not always go smoothly. The closer the birds are to the same size the better it can go. And it can still involve pecking, shoving, chasing, poking. That is why you monitor closely and separate them if it goes too far.

If your new chicks are tiny, they cannot be left with the older ducklings. You can keep them separated by a bit of fence, so they can see each other and get used to each other. Feed them treats at the same time.

Once the chicks are as big as the ducks - and this could be weeks - then try introducing them again. Patience. They are just following their instincts. But they can get along if we pace the process. At least, usually they can get along.

They are the same age, but not the same size. They all live inside my house in separate containers until big enough to move outside. Today was their first meeting and I separated them immediately after the biting. I plan on letting them meet every so often. Any suggestions on sexing them?

Back
Top Bottom