Aggressive flock

shwestleigh

In the Brooder
May 25, 2021
I acquired a drake mallard and a khaki drake about a month ago, they both fit right in for the most part the mallard kind of kept his distance. Unfortunately, we lost the khaki drake, my mallard looks like an outcast, he keeps his distance from all the other ducks, waits for them to eat , drink and swim before he will, I noticed this morning when I tried to get him to the water bowl to get some lettuce my geese became very aggressive and because of that my other ducks that grew up with the geese started attacking him as well. I want him to be happy and we needed another drake but it makes me sad that he looks like he’s not happy and doesn’t fit in, idk what to do if I should pet him and bring him inside or see if it gets better? I did shoo the geese away and made it clear them being like that wasn’t ok , he’s such a sweet mallard and I don’t want to get rid of him TIA

Have you posted this in the geese forum? Sounds like a goose issue.

But, with that said how many geese and ducks do you have? How much space do they have? Do you have any other drakes?

Have you posted this in the geese forum? Sounds like a goose issue.

But, with that said how many geese and ducks do you have? How much space do they have? Do you have any other drakes?
I have 4 geese, I have 13 total ducks outside, 4 other drake but they haven’t hit maturity yet. They free range our backyard which is fairly large. My concern is the other ducks are joining when the geese do this and I have 5 Cayugas I hatched that are in our house and are at the age of needing to go outside and be introduced. we were going to start them in a pen so they other birds can get used to them but I’m skeptical if this is how my geese and other ducks are acting.

How many food and water sources do you have? You will want multiples for them. That way it is harder for them to control food and water sources. The more area they have and the more resources, the easier it will be on the birds integrating. Ducks shooing away newcomers is pretty normal in the beginning.

Integration takes time. It can take months for some ducks to integrate. It is especially hard on just one duck to integrate. I have found the more and more I integrate ducks the easier and easier they accept the newest members. Now my young ones are the terrors temporarily.

You may also want to try temporarily separating out the geese if you can. It sounds like the geese are being territorial and making it harder for the ducks to integrate. Geese are also so much bigger than ducks, I would probably wait till they are full grown before integrating a duck with them.

Someone may have better suggestions for geese.

My geese have been in goose jail most of the late spring and summer because of breeding season. It's finally over and molt is going on so they are much more calm and not picking on everyone. Maybe try your mallard in a separate pen with just one of your other ducks. Just make sure everyone can see each other. An established flock really don't like newcomers but if you can get one of your other ducks to accept this drake it may make it easier for them all to accept him. Minus the geese they should come last.

My geese have been in goose jail most of the late spring and summer because of breeding season. It's finally over and molt is going on so they are much more calm and not picking on everyone. Maybe try your mallard in a separate pen with just one of your other ducks. Just make sure everyone can see each other. An established flock really don't like newcomers but if you can get one of your other ducks to accept this drake it may make it easier for them all to accept him. Minus the geese they should come last.
Thank you, I just added my 7-8week cayugas to the flock and they seem to be ok I separated my mallard for a bit idk if he’s still adapting but he’s not really eating but doesn’t mind being isolated I think I’ll wait a few more days before I try to put him back now that my geese have seemed to stop they don’t really mind the new babies

Your Mallard will still be looked at as a newcomer since he will be alone when you put him back they may go after him again. It’s much better to intro newbies as a group not just one. I hope you’ll take that into consideration before putting him back. Bless his heart he needs friends. If it goes great when you put him back that will be awesome please keep us updated.

It appeared he was sick, had foamy eye for a few days got him all cleaned up but now he’s still not eating but I see no apparent signs he’s still sick idk if I should try to reintroduce him he’s lost some weight and can’t really preen himself.. idk what to do he’s making me worried.

He may need worming or antibiotics. Can you take him to a vet? If he's not well I'd def not put him back with your flock. Is he where he can see the other ducks? they really don't do well alone that may be his reason for not eating depression.

Back
Top Bottom