Aggressive Flock

moraylass

Chirping
Feb 10, 2018
Northeast Scotland, UK
When one of our broodie bantams had an egg hatch (just the one), I moved her to in totally enclosed separate coop (as a couple of chicks had disappeared from the main coop - maybe a pine martin during the night). It seemed like a good idea, and the chick did well until yesterday it disappeared while out in the small run during the day. No idea what got it or how.

However, I returned the broodie last night to the main flock - there was a bit of pecking, and she fled away from the rest. I assumed that as an ex member of the flock they would settle down. However this morning I come to find that the flock has killed her.

Any thoughts what I did wrong, and any better way I could have done this (as I have an older hand reared chick to add to the flock soon)?

The flock is a mixed bag of 10 bantam and standard hens with 3 cockerels.

Thanks.

However this morning I come to find that the flock has killed her.
I would not immediately assume the flock killed her, unless you saw it happen.

How big is your coop and run, in feet by feet(or meters by meters)?
Dimensions and pics would help here.

I put broodies in a section of coop created by a temporary wire wall.
That way they are still in sight of the flock, which can smooth reintegration.
I take down wall about a week after hatch and watch the fun begin.
Usually the broody gets in a few fights, but the chicks are fairly safe with the nest as a safe haven. I also set up a creep feeder area so chicks can eat, drink and shelter.

If you have pine martens as predators, you need to tighten up all your enclosures, they can get thru pretty small opening.

The 3 males is a red flag for me, multiple males almost always create an environment of fierce competition and aggression.

As for integrating a single chick, that's gonna be tough.
How old is it and where did it come from?
Might think about getting a few more near the same age and integrate them together before trying to add them to the flock.

Thank you for your wise words. I've lost another bantam today (pic below, if you've got the stomache), so it must be a coincidence when returning the previous one.

I'm thinking that the pine martin must think the roosting area its larder, as both roosted there, rather than with the rest of the flock which have started roosting out the in the open part of the (totally enclosed) enclosure.

The area they have is about 3m x 3m, with a 1m x 1m roosting area with nest boxes. The 1"x1" mesh fencing is buried 4 inch into the groud, and in places concrete, but I have been plugging up holes with big stones at the door area.

I'm wondering whether to lock them out of the roosting area, so they all have to be together in the open area - it is summer after all. What do you think?

The chick was from the flock, but abandoned by the mother, and is probably 10wks old. I will keep an eye out for others, but there's not many up in the NE of Scotland, sand my incubator is broken.

(The cockerels pretty much ignore each other, so I've left them to it.)

I think I need to get some cameras on them, and do some concreting. Any thoughts gratefully received.

Attachments

• 111_0519.jpg
    111_0519.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 111_0518.jpg
    111_0518.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom