"Aggressive" gander turned friendly

The goose girl

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Denmark
This has been my first spring with a mated pair of geese. I was prepared for my sweet little gosling from last year, Jensen, turning into a full grown gander protecting his goose, although it did create some logistic problems.

One was allowing people safe access to my front door. I put up a 2' tall board, and it worked like a charm. The geese would be on one side of the board, and my guests could get to the door on the other side.

A friend of mine was visiting about a month ago, and we stayed on the safe side of the board. My goose never took to her, and Jensen seemed no different. But as we sat there, my friend kept talking to Jensen (telling him what a beautiful and wise gander he was :D) and after about an hour he seemed more interested in her than wanting to chase her off. My friend then tried entering the goose side of the fence, and lo and behold, Jensen let her walk around in the yard!

Fast forward to last week. My friend came to visit me again, and I had forgotten to put up the board. This time Jensen made a beeline for her, I ran to protect her, but he just greeted her like a long lost friend - and proceeded to stay at her side like a well-trained dog! He not only remembered her; he followed her everywhere, and he called for her when she was inside my house and he couldn't see her. He even allowed her to pet him!

She was there to help me weed my patio, and Jensen was by her side most of the time. It was so surreal, seeing them sitting there together. He did nibble on her arms a little when he thought she was hiding the good weeds from him, but there's a world of difference between nibbling and biting.

When I woke up the next morning, I wasn't sure whether it had been a dream. Luckily, I had filmed a little of their interaction:

Great story and fun video!

I have a few ganders who get extra friendly with me at the end of season when their girls are no longer interested in breeding. However, those boys are imprinted to me and I've not seen them develop a crush on friends that visit. It's very cute behavior.

I have a few ganders who get extra friendly with me at the end of season when their girls are no longer interested in breeding.

My goose is still laying eggs, and they still mate a couple of times every day. His behavior towards me and other people he knows hasn't changed. If I try to pet him on his head he moves before I can touch him. That's part of why I'm so baffled at this development.

My friend came to visit again yesterday, and the exact same thing happened. Except this time she was carrying a big plastic bag that Jensen obviously deemed dangerous, so he tried to scare it away from her. As soon as she got rid of it, he glued himself to her side again.

Back
Top Bottom