aggressive geese

jackiedon

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2007
Central Arkansas
I have 2 toulson (?) geese that I got at a day old. We kept them in the house until they got too big for the brooder. We would take them outside with us and they followed us around. When we put them out we put them with the 2 ducks we had that were about a month older.

Now they are huge and beautiful!!! But agressive and territorial. Great guard dogs for people and some animals not foxes. They hang around the 2 ducks. But a while ago I was refilling their pools and the ducks were mating and then the one goose tried to I guess mate with the drake. Then the goose was dragging the drake by the neck.

I don't know if the geese are 2 males or what.

I went to the auction Saturday and bought 2 turkeys and six ducks (not sure what kind they are) The geese are awful to them. Luckily the yard is large enough one can have their side and the other their own. But when I put feed out on both sides the geese run both sides keeping everyone away.

jackie

was he maybe "protecting" you hen duck? ,, and some animals ( not sure bout geese) do the "mounting" to show dominance over "whoever" their "on"... and sounds like you need to make it impossible for them to get to the "others" food,,,, maybe feed the others in the same spot every day,, and stand there with a broom,,,and shooo off the geese when they start "coming over",,, and just dont shoooo em,,,, chase them away a few hundred feet. let them know your serious about it.,,, with them i imagine is like a rooster,,,,you HAVE to let them know your boss,,,ive chased my rooster fot an hour just to catch him and tell him to STOP. you wont need to hurt or even hit them,,,,just a STERN shoooo !! hehe
wink.png

Hi Jackie! I had the SAME issue with an aggressive goose! I had gotten him from an auction. He seemed SO sweet the first day or two and then started "goosing" everyone around him. After he got my leg and left a big bruise, I found a new home for him. A farm down the road lost their gander to a fox and had a lonely female, so it worked out perfectly. I have turkeys that are just as aggressive to, "newcomers." They are very set in their ways and don't like change! lol Anyhow, keep me posted!

I know what you mean about aggressive geese! I got 2 young chinese ganders this spring.. they were sweet as could be. Then I brought home 2 females..
Well the 2 males think they own the whole horse pasture and their water trough! I carry a stick with me when going into the pen.
They have not attacked me but get very verbal and put head down and charge at me. I tap them with the stick and they stop.
They need to be shown who really owns the pen!

good luck with yours...

We used to have to carry a stick with geese at my grandmothers too. Though when we were little kids it made more sense just to RUN,lol.
I think geese are naturally territorial and new birds coming in might upset them a bit...though I would imagine they will get used to them over time. Even if they still remain "selfish" over the feed. I would put feed in a few different places, make them work for the privilege.
big_smile.png
They cant be everywhere at once!

if the goose bothers you or you need to tell him not to bother the others in front of you, take his beak firmly in hand and hold it closed. you don't have to pull or squeeze. just hold firmly. he will pull and pull and pull. when he stops and gives up, release. it may take once or a few times, depending. that is the best way i've found to permanently but painlessly let them know who the heck is boss. it even worked once on a goose at a lake who was acting tough and getting too sassy.

as far as food, i tend to toss it far and wide to get lots of folks a chance at once. also, sometimes i will do two feedings, one later if i happen to notice the geese are asleep or off doing something else.

My toulouse aren't aggressive towards me(they'd like to think they are) but I did have to seperate them from my bantam ducks. They were getting way to mean to them,grabbing their necks and chasing them away from the food. I used hog panels that the ducks can slip through and the geese can't. Maybe you can make a feeding area that way.

I got 2 geese from PearlD. They are beautiful. They aren't agressive to me but my DH can't go in the fences without them yelling at him. One has even nipped him on the bottom while he was helping me put up some chicken wire. They let all the other animals know when we try to sneak in the yard. I couldn't remember what she had named them when I got them so their names are SASSY and BRITCHES.

Back
Top Bottom