Aggressive goose

Ourgosling22

Songster
Mar 20, 2022
Central texas
Hi everyone- I hope all had a good thanksgiving and all feathered children doing well. If anyone can suggest how to get on just goose section on here would be great. Having difficulty navigating to it.
I have a couple of questions if anyone has any opinion or suggestions.
I have one goose who is with 6 ducks they are all about 7 months old now. My goose has gotten awfully aggressive with me but doesn’t seem so with ducks which is good. Ducks are very dependent on goose. They have been laying eggs every day for a while now so don’t know if maybe due to mating season or maybe not getting enough to eat? I’m not really satisfied with their diet so if anyone can suggest what more I can give them to supplement what they manage to get when in run. Grass is scattered but don’t seem to be eating it. I give them 17% poultry duck feed with cracked corn, oats, black sunflower seeds, with mealworms if have any. I sprinkle in nutritional yeast as well. I try to give them Timothy hay when can but they don’t seem to care for it too much. What greens can I add for them?
I know geese are mean and I know it’s silly but it bothers me. I have to interact with them in run but it’s tiresome when I have to keep looking over my shoulder for his/her attack. Sorry don’t know it’s gender. Thanks for any feedback😊

What breed of goose is he?

If you are in the northern hemisphere it is now the beginning of breeding season, horomones are spiking so it’s definitly the main reason for the sudden aggression. Females can be aggressive but usually it’s males who are more aggressive in breeding season.

If your goose is a small breed 17% protein feed is alright, but if it’s a heavier breed he’ll need more especially in cold weather or later when he’s molting.
20% Purina flock raiser and nutrena all flock are options I use and mine do alright.

Treats my geese and ducks like are kale, Romain lettuce, lettuce in general, Bok Choi, cabbage, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, peas, corn, blueberries, blackberries, apples, pears, plums, peaches, banana, melon, and pumpkin.
Geese can be picky eaters so not everyone likes the same things and if it’s something they’ve never seen before they can take awhile to get used to it.

Geese will get aggressive with people they perceive as rivals or those that they don’t see as members of their flocks. Pretty much anyone they are familiar with but who doesn’t spend enough time with them will become an “outsider,” and during breeding season they’re more likely to attack “outsiders.”
Geese in general are usually non confrontational unless they feel that their nest, mate, and goslings are under threat, and they just can’t help being quicker to anger and more irrational in breeding season.

What I think is going on is your gander has decided that the ducks are his flock and that you are an outsider/ rival. Geese are intelligent with long memories so it will take a bit to change this but it it’s easier with geese than with some other species I’ve found, especially while they’re still young like he is.

What you have to do is start spending more time with him. Treats can do a lot to convince him to see you in a more positive light.
If he gets aggressive and charges or bites say NO loudly and firmly. If he doesn’t stop pick him up. Hold onto him for a few moments then set them back down. Often walking around and setting him down in a different spot seems to help snap a gander out of their agression for a bit.
Keep in mind he has only so much control over himself this time of year, so you may have to remind him fairly often, but he will learn and try to control himself better.

If you’ve never had to pick up an attacking goose it’s easier than it sounds.

First you grab them by the face, just firmly that they can’t get away but not enough to hurt him. If you have his head he can’t bite you.

Then you wrap your other arm around his body to pin his wings and lift.

The faster you do this the easier it is.
Also giving them a treat afterwards can remind them that though you reminded them that you’re in charge that you’re still their friend.

Some people pin their geese to the ground when they get aggressive, but I’ve found that ineffective with mine personally, hormonal geese can be kinda pea brained and they seem to get more aggressive if you’re crouched down, I think that by looking smaller while crouching they think they have a better chance of winning the fight. Lol.
Picking them up seems to give them a better idea that we humans are a lot bigger and stronger.

Geese can get territorial around mating season ( spring/summer ), if you scare / feel like a threat to them, if there's no other females or goose companions around, if they're always cooped up, and if there's no good bond between you and the goose. Geese can be kept alone, but really do need other geese to be social, happy, and not aggressive, especially if they're an only male/female without being able to mate. Geese just have a diet that consists of poultry feed that is not chicken, natural grasses, clovers, and hay that they can pick at on their own time, and searching around for insects. A lot of things can affect their behavior. Spending lots of time with the geese is a really great and affective way of bonding. Using treat or regular feed helps them feel more comfortable with you. Making slower movements, being quieter, and crouching down makes them feel safer. Picking them up or touching them when they don't want you to is a very good way to loose trust in geese. If he/she tries to attack you, don't hit or scream at the goose. Be affirmative and say words similar to no, maybe use a barrier between you like a broom or bucket but don't hit him, and stay calm. Don't be surprised if he comes back to attack again. Get him away from you again and slowly walk away from the situation but don't let him think he won and that'll keep you away.Geese are crazy animals, so good luck!! :D Best wishes!!! ♥️

Last edited:
What breed of goose is he?

If you are in the northern hemisphere it is now the beginning of breeding season, horomones are spiking so it’s definitly the main reason for the sudden aggression. Females can be aggressive but usually it’s males who are more aggressive in breeding season.

If your goose is a small breed 17% protein feed is alright, but if it’s a heavier breed he’ll need more especially in cold weather or later when he’s molting.
20% Purina flock raiser and nutrena all flock are options I use and mine do alright.

Treats my geese and ducks like are kale, Romain lettuce, lettuce in general, Bok Choi, cabbage, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, peas, corn, blueberries, blackberries, apples, pears, plums, peaches, banana, melon, and pumpkin.
Geese can be picky eaters so not everyone likes the same things and if it’s something they’ve never seen before they can take awhile to get used to it.

Geese will get aggressive with people they perceive as rivals or those that they don’t see as members of their flocks. Pretty much anyone they are familiar with but who doesn’t spend enough time with them will become an “outsider,” and during breeding season they’re more likely to attack “outsiders.”
Geese in general are usually non confrontational unless they feel that their nest, mate, and goslings are under threat, and they just can’t help being quicker to anger and more irrational in breeding season.

What I think is going on is your gander has decided that the ducks are his flock and that you are an outsider/ rival. Geese are intelligent with long memories so it will take a bit to change this but it it’s easier with geese than with some other species I’ve found, especially while they’re still young like he is.

What you have to do is start spending more time with him. Treats can do a lot to convince him to see you in a more positive light.
If he gets aggressive and charges or bites say NO loudly and firmly. If he doesn’t stop pick him up. Hold onto him for a few moments then set them back down. Often walking around and setting him down in a different spot seems to help snap a gander out of their agression for a bit.
Keep in mind he has only so much control over himself this time of year, so you may have to remind him fairly often, but he will learn and try to control himself better.

If you’ve never had to pick up an attacking goose it’s easier than it sounds.

First you grab them by the face, just firmly that they can’t get away but not enough to hurt him. If you have his head he can’t bite you.

Then you wrap your other arm around his body to pin his wings and lift.

The faster you do this the easier it is.
Also giving them a treat afterwards can remind them that though you reminded them that you’re in charge that you’re still their friend.

Some people pin their geese to the ground when they get aggressive, but I’ve found that ineffective with mine personally, hormonal geese can be kinda pea brained and they seem to get more aggressive if you’re crouched down, I think that by looking smaller while crouching they think they have a better chance of winning the fight. Lol.
Picking them up seems to give them a better idea that we humans are a lot bigger and stronger.
Hi-you have helped me with some issues with my flock before-we live in Texas and I think our goose is a Chinese goose. My ducks are Pekin I believe-my entire flock are solid white. I’m glad to know the greens you suggested are easily available for me to buy. Thorne, my goose should know that I’m friendly since I see him every morning and tend to them in the evenings when time to put them up for night. I work during day so I’m not always there at that time. When I see him stretching out his neck and he’s fussing I have been doing what you said to do-tell him/her NO and I’ll gently push his neck back. Thorne unfortunately is pretty determined. I do pick him up with not too much difficulty. I’ve had these guys since they were babies. Maybe I do need to try to spend more time with them now that I have a list of foods I can add to their feed and hopefully Thorne will calm a bit down. Thank you.

Geese can get territorial around mating season ( spring/summer ), if you scare / feel like a threat to them, if there's no other females or goose companions around, if they're always cooped up, and if there's no good bond between you and the goose. Geese can be kept alone, but really do need other geese to be social, happy, and not aggressive, especially if they're an only male/female without being able to mate. Geese just have a diet that consists of poultry feed that is not chicken, natural grasses, clovers, and hay that they can pick at on their own time, and searching around for insects. A lot of things can affect their behavior. Spending lots of time with the geese is a really great and affective way of bonding. Using treat or regular feed helps them feel more comfortable with you. Making slower movements, being quieter, and crouching down makes them feel safer. Picking them up or touching them when they don't want you to is a very good way to loose trust in geese. If he/she tries to attack you, don't hit or scream at the goose. Be affirmative and say words similar to no, maybe use a barrier between you like a broom or bucket but don't hit him, and stay calm. Don't be surprised if he comes back to attack again. Get him away from you again and slowly walk away from the situation but don't let him think he won and that'll keep you away.Geese are crazy animals, so good luck!! :D Best wishes!!! ♥️
Thank you. Surprisingly I do try to keep my movements calm and I always talk to them. I’m bad about that-I talk to my animals. As you said there could be many things affecting thorne’s behavior. I often wondered if I should get another goose for him/her. Not looking to have babies but should it be same gender or opposite gender and should it be one about same age as Thorne? I’m hoping if I add more to their diet it might help calm him down as well.

Hi-you have helped me with some issues with my flock before-we live in Texas and I think our goose is a Chinese goose. My ducks are Pekin I believe-my entire flock are solid white. I’m glad to know the greens you suggested are easily available for me to buy. Thorne, my goose should know that I’m friendly since I see him every morning and tend to them in the evenings when time to put them up for night. I work during day so I’m not always there at that time. When I see him stretching out his neck and he’s fussing I have been doing what you said to do-tell him/her NO and I’ll gently push his neck back. Thorne unfortunately is pretty determined. I do pick him up with not too much difficulty. I’ve had these guys since they were babies. Maybe I do need to try to spend more time with them now that I have a list of foods I can add to their feed and hopefully Thorne will calm a bit down. Thank you.
I don’t have Chinese geese but they have a reputation for being spicier than other breeds I’ve heard, so this could just be a combination of his breed and breeding horomones.

Back
Top Bottom