JRIII

Hatching
Jun 14, 2022
So I've now read a fair amount of things here to help deter hawks. The hawk(s) seem to be getting more aggressive. Great info and help here though!

This evening the hawk swooped ME. I came outside expecting to scare him off again because my hens were yelling, but I couldn't find him. Then I felt the wind woosh above my head. I ducked (probably too late), and he flew right over me as if taunting me. He could've attacked my head easily if he wanted to. Has this happened to anyone?

The previous owners of this house gave me their three hens with some advice on how to keep them happy and healthy and living. However, I've noticed they didn't do a great job building the pen and I'll have to redo it with some better wire, more space, and better security in general. Happy to have the chickens and fresh eggs. They are quite adorable and entertaining.

I admit, I probably let them free range too much in the beginning and that's what attracted the hawks. The previous owners had a dog which maybe helped and probably let the hens free range less as well.

I've installed a motion sensing solar light to scare off big predators at night. I re-stapled the chicken wire to the posts and closed any gaps and holes. I've put some CDs around the pen and fence. Bought a carabiner to keep the pen door latched even for savvy predators...

Going to put more CD's out there, on strings or fishing line now. Maybe streamers or something else too. But I have a feeling this won't work.

Might try buying a chicken statue to mess with it when it attacks the statue to no avail. Don't think I want to put up an owl decoy because I don't want to attract other owls... Maybe other statues? Fake snakes, eagles, crows, etc? I've also heard this doesn't work because they realize they don't move often and the hawks start to notice it's you who moves them.

Might try attracting crows with dried fruit and nuts? How else? Not sure I want crows in my yard anyway though because I don't want the noise.

Maybe roosting spikes around the fencing in my backyard and around the top of their pen? At least to get them away from landing too close.

I'm considering having my sister's dog hang out here for a bit and see if that does anything. Also I do want a dog, maybe a rescue pit, or in a perfect world I would raise a puppy to behave with the chickens well. Still, I've read that may not work.

It's illegal to shoot at hawks, but what about a bb gun or an airsoft gun?

For now I don't let the hens free range unless I'm out there as well doing yard work and whatnot. If I let them out I keep them from going too far and under the small 2 foot high deck on the other side of the yard (because then I can't get them back until they go back to the pen themselves for bed). That said, the chickens are pretty used to running for cover and are careful and spooked now more than ever after the hawk decided to hang out on top of the pen one recent morning.

Thanks for reading! Would appreciate any help!!

Hawk wind! Wow! Never happened to me, but that's really cool!

Had my oldest, most rugged hen pinned by gigantic King Hawk about a year ago. I heard her screaming and came running with my dogs and a broom. She was fine with just a scratch. He ended up coming back but I scared him off with loud pops and bang noises that came from a bottle rocket.

But today I was taking out the trash and heard the "kreer" sound a hawk makes, my rooster was sounding the alarm, and sure enough this little hawk is swooping all around my back yard. Lands in a pine tree and is watching my hiding chickens.

So I got some big bottle rockets and SSCHHHHEEEERRRRRRWWWWWWW...... KA POW right at him and he high tails it out of there.

It is definitely illegal to shoot a hawk. Do not do it. Not just because its illegal but because they are cool birds themselves!

However, maybe you are shooting at bees or squirrels in your backyard and the hawk just happens to be flying around at the time. But this is not recommended.

On another note - crows are your allies when you raise chickens. I've made friends with my local crows- they are fighting the hawks all the time, raising a ruckus. They walk around the yard/house with the chickens, even eat corn with them.

I also have been breeding some of my chickens to look like crows- smaller black game chickens with long tails, black beak, no crown, black feet even. Huge deterrent to hawks.

A rooster can help too if you don't mind the crowing (we love our roosters.)

Most dogs automatically want to eat chickens. I raised a couple of rescue pups that now run wild on the farm and help keep an eye on the birds. They had to sleep by the coop for a couple weeks to get desensitized, that and a newspaper swatting a couple times.

But hawks are wild and free - they do what they want.

I think the one that swooped on you today has no fear.

Getcha some of those good big bottle rockets that come in a six pack and whistle with a loud bang. That'll chase him off.

Last edited:
Texas wildlife laws says it is illegal to "harass" raptors and other wildlife. I think federal law protects raptors using the same type of language. This could encompass bottle rockets among other non-lethal means you take to protect your farm animals. So, beware what you admit to doing on a public forum. Could come back to bite you!

It's illegal to harass, injure, or kill raptors in the USA. It's illegal to have their feathers too.
Don't waste time or money on lights or scare objects, rather fix your coop and run. Chicken wire will keep chickens in and hawks out, but fails to keep most other predators out. No openings larger than 1/2" diameter anywhere, or it's not predator proof.
For visiting hawks, you need to keep your chickens in a hawk proof run, at least, for two weeks, or longer, until that bird gives up and moves on. We have visiting raptors sometimes, and that's what we do. Roosters can help, at least to sound the alarm, and having shrubs and hiding places helps too.
Mary

My dogs do a good job at detering hawks. The bird dog can see them up in the sky a mile away and will "chase" them, its quite comical but effective as I have never seen one get even remotely low to our property. Rooster does a good job of alerting the girls and taking them to cover too. Lots of hiding places are key, they need to be able to take cover.

Back
Top Bottom