Aggressive hen pining down others and biting

Catie1212

Chirping
May 1, 2023
Jamestown NY / Warren PA
We have 6 golden comets and one has always been a bully. They are a year old. She bites me and the other hens. Now, she is pining one hen down by the neck and standing on her, I’ve seen it twice now. She is always a loner away from the rest. I am not sure what to do with her, my only thought is to sell her. Thoughts or actions I can take?

Thank you! Yes, they have plenty of room, they can range over an acre. She just seems like a mean girl.
That's the impression I got from your description of her behavior. Removing her from the flock for a week or so may result in another bird taking over flock control. Upon reintroduction, there will be fighting, and perhaps she will be subordinated. Worth a try ?

I would head her to the pot. I am not a real big believer in training a bird, especially a bird of a long term behavior. Even if you can get her to stop when you are there, it probably will start up again when you are not, and no one lives in the coop.

You could try pin less peepers. They often work in small flocks.

Thing is, she is ruining your enjoyment of the flock. These kind of birds cause a lot of tension in the flock, even if they are not the bird being attacked.

A hot water bath, with salt, pepper and onions will improve everyone.

Mrs K

I stay away from RIR's and RIR mixes because I've had 2 RIR's like this. Craigslist is my answer. Lot's of people want laying chickens and have bigger operations than mine. I can't have that in my flock. And I did try a few ideas first but nothing worked. I put alot of time into it the first time. Not so much the second time. I hope you are more successful than I was!

Back
Top Bottom