Aggressive hen(s)...need advice!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BarkerChickens, Jun 25, 2011.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We have a Faverolle/EE mix hen that is getting beat up by a Jersey Giant hen. The Faverolle mix submits and has now had blood drawn from her neck. [​IMG] The Jersey Giant hen is a little over 2 yrs old and the Faverolle mix is ~1 year old. A couple other birds seem to have started joining in, but aren't as ruthless as the JG. I am thinking of separating the JG form the flock for a few days to see if I can put her at the bottom of the flock. I'll ahve to see what the others do. Meanwhile, I have a baldnecked hen with a wound (they made it bleed AFTER I put blu-kote on it.

Why it started all of a sudden?? No clue. The Faverolle mix was broody (over a month, but didn't hatch eggs), so maybe she put her self in the position to have to re-establish her position?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!!!

2. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    had the same problem earlier this spring. moved a younger hen in with one of my meaner older hens and she got feather picked on the back of the neck. put bluecote on it and she was still getting pecked. got a cage and put it in the run, sprayed the wounded hen with bluecote and put her in the cage, left her for a week like this until the other hens were used to her and then let her out after spraying her one more time. they left her alone and she is all healed up and fine, now.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Yes, i have seen broody hens fall to the bottom of the pecking order after hatching, especially if they were completely separated from the flock. I would try removing the big jg also, for starters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by