Aggressive Hen?

thechickendiva

Hatching
Mar 13, 2015
I have 7 hens and a rooster that were hatched sometime in March. No eggs so far. I go out everyday to feed and water and search the coop. I have 2 RIR both have red wattles and combs. Today I was in the coop holding one of my bantam hens when Big Red (RIR hen) came and stood on top of my foot and was looking up at me mouth open. She then flew up to my shoulder area and proceeded to flap her wings and scratch me! She has never been aggressive before. I went out the coop and stood at the door. She continued to try to get me lol. Is she aggressive because she is about to lay her first egg? She's pacing at the door with her mouth open and tail pulsing? She's eating and drinking fine. She did take a few minutes away from intimidating me to go check out the nest boxes. Are laying hens aggressive often? Will she grow out of this or make it a habit? Lol

I guess hormones are just getting to her, though she could have been trying to protect the bantam you were holding. I've heard that friendly hens can become skittish when nearing laying, so perhaps they can become aggressive as well. Rhode Island Reds are known for being a more aggressive breed.

I hope she settles down soon. Best of luck!

Thanks! Update! The next day I found my first egg! Woot! Guess she was protective because she was ready to lay! She has been calm since (fingers crossed) hoping she stays that way!

Chickens have such different personalities. Each girl acts differently when laying. I have 4 RIRs - had 4, Kitiara passed away June 1st from a lung fungus. She was only 4 years old. Kitiara loved to lay her eggs on my pillow; even if I am still sleeping there! She just chitters and bumps my head until I move over (notice the napping cat?).

Poppy doesn't mind if the cat climbs into the eggloo with her while she is laying; guess she likes the company.

Ruby doesn't even allow you to be in the room when she is laying. Their indoor coop is in the dining room adjacent to the living room. If the TV is too loud, she will yell until you turn it down; if your voice is too loud she will let you know to turn that down too!

Shim is pretty easy going when she is laying unless she is having a bit of trouble. She will walk around the house for maybe an hour bellowing a crabby tune. When she gets quiet, you know the egg will be out in about 5 minutes.

So, maybe your girl was having a little trouble getting it out that day and was crabby; kinda a hen version of PMS. I hope you don't have future problems with her. Once you learn all their personalities you will know how to behave proper around them during egg laying (according to the hen point of view, hehehe).

Back
Top Bottom