aggressive hen

Chocolate_Chick

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Hi, I have a 2 year old silkie that is so mean. Last year she went broody and never stopped being aggressive. I initially had 4 hens and she relentlessly went after two of them. Not just chasing and the occasional peck, she'd land onto on them and try and hold them down while pecking. 2 chickens have since died, and the one she's left with is terrified of her. I've got one 6 week old chick and will hopefully have some more hatching in the next few days to build numbers up again. The 6 week old chick is able to free range in the garden with them without too much aggression from her, but she will really go for her when she's in their pen. I have a mini pen set out within the run so that they can get used to each other without the risk of her getting hurt, but she will try and go for her even with the pen in place. Any thoughts on how I can manage her? I've previously separated her in the house for a few days away from the others, but it stressed her out and made no difference to her aggression. She will attack me if I try and put myself between her and the chicken she's going for. I then pick her up and hold her upside down, as I've seen that suggested on here before. I did wonder whether she needed a longer, extended break somewhere?

2 chickens have since died, and the one she's left with is terrified of her. I've got one 6 week old chick and will hopefully have some more hatching in the next few days to build numbers up again.

Though I am sure you'd really like to fix her attitude, I doubt you will accomplish it, unfortunately. You need to rebuild and protect your flock, and she may spread her behaviour to others, which isn't helpful -- nor is her terrorism helping in any way. I have two suggestions. The first is chicken-pot-pie. The second, and the lesser of the two, is maybe you can find someone with no chickens that would want a single hen. However, it sounds like she's aggressive toward you, so that may be hard to find. You won't have much luck with the rest of your flock unless you solve the problem of her.

Back
Top Bottom