aggressive hen

PIO-PIO

Songster
11 Years
Mar 27, 2009
POINCIANA, FL
okay, so here's the problem, I have 4 girls that are 26 weeks tomorrow. my RIR "Buffy" has always been alittle more uptight than the rest. it seems that lately she has gotten so much more aggressive, with the other girls and with us. shes starting to chase my kids, my daughter just runs from her. she even has been puffing up to me like she wants to fight and pecks my legs (OUCH!)
also my BO "Tinker" has been following her around and I think shes taking notes!! I read here that one can teach the other and I watch as these 2 pal around like 2 playground bullies.
somad.gif

I have 2 12 week old amerucana chicks that they just totally attack! the chicks run for their lives when they see them coming.(they are in the house in the broder at night and in the yard with everyone in daytime)
okay so enough of the history...
here is what I was thinking...
what if I got rid of the major bully. (BIL wants to eat her, he says that whoever gets her will just do the same since shes so aggressive so i should give her to him.) and then put the BO in bad bird "Jail" for a week or so while I add the 2 chicks in with the WR(ming-ming) and the BA(pixie). the last 2 are my sweethearts! they follow me like little puppies, they make all this chicken stuff fun. I figured that after chicken jail, tinker would be kicked to the bottom of the pecking order and have to learn new manners from the good girls.
If I dont do something soon I'm gonna start to have nightmares about my RIR. I swear she even looks mean and watches me like shes plotting my murder!
so after my rambling what do u guys think?
hu.gif

sounds like my problem! I got a BR for my Silkie as company after rehoming her boyfriend for crowing... I picked this chick out of the crowd because she had all the typical girl features... now I'm not so sure though because she puffs up her neck feathers like your girl is doing, and attacks my legs and feet if I'm walking by --- yes, OW! as you said! She attacked my dog and chased me... I turned around just in time to LIFT -- not kick--- but lift her with my foot about two - three feet in the air which changed her mind about messing with me...
I'm rehoming that bird. Any bird that beats up on my Silkie and dog, kids, myself... well, I don't want to live that way.
Maybe you could try LIFTING HER (lol, sounds suspicious) like I did, or just get rid of her... Life is too short to be bullied by a bird. I'm taking her to her new home tomorrow where she will be low on the totem pole.

... oh, and FYI anyone worried... she was fine. She landed on her feet, no bones broken etc. I'm usually a very gentle person and only smash the %$#@ out of spiders.

Quote:
My RIR tried me once when he was younger and I "lifted" his butt all the way across the yard. Needless to say he respects me now.
lol.png

Funny I just asked a similar question regarding my two agressive hens. They are just plain mean. I have found them a new home on a small farm. They are getting picked up this AM actually.
I would rehome that one agressive one and hopefully the jail time will reform your other hen.

unfortunately I have"lifted" her too cause she scares me when she charges. Ive also held her tight and even sprayed her with the water hose when shes trying to attack the babies.
sad.png

KellyHM- are u my way ever because I sure would let your roo teach her some manners!

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
I have heard that this is without a doubt the most effective method for dealing with aggression problems!

Sounds like you have a good plan.

My mean hen went into the freezer. Didn't even know she was a hen til processing, she was so mean. Would have processed her anyway. She was a hatchery SLW.

Don't let her bully her...scoop her up and hold her tight and for about 10 min. If you do this every time she charges she will eventually stop. She still may be a mean chicken but she will have your respect. I have used this method with geese as well and they quit charging. One day in the park a Canada goose charged me and I picked it up by the neck and held it the next week it only hissed but stayed away.

Back
Top Bottom