Aggressive male separated and now SO LOUD, HELP!

LittleBeepo1

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 4, 2013
So I have 7 jumbo coturnix quails, I believe to have 3 females and 4 males though I am not entirely certain. Surprisingly, they were all living harmoniously while they came of age and then some, until of course the males got aggressive.

I recently bought a fairly large breeding cage with a large area for breeding and three separated areas for bachelors. The two males that I absolutely know for sure are males were moved into their own areas and now they are incessantly crowing and are so loud! I had to move them out because some of the females were getting bloody and bald so I know it was more than just mating aggression.

Are they just lonely because they don't have their females anymore, or stressed because of their new living quarters? Possibly a combination of both? My question I guess is, will they eventually calm down and shut the heck up? Anything I can give them in case they're somehow bored and need something to do? They live in the shed near neighbors and I don't want them to become a noise issue. Any advice/suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!!

You either have to move it as far as you can from the girls (only works sometimes) keep it in the dark all but a few hours a day (only works sometimes) or you can send it freezer camp (works every time). Aggression can be a genetic trait in poultry so honestly unless there is another cause for his aggression (an injury to his feet or head, overcrowding, too few hens) it probably won't get better.

Yep I had the same problem. Once he has a taste of females and now you took him away and he can see them or more than likely misses them he will be noisy. Mine went to training my bird dog.

Back
Top Bottom