Aggressive new duck behaviour

Mousiechan

In the Brooder
Nov 26, 2018
These two new 18 month old Khaki Campbells had lived with two Indian Runners in an earth pen and had a large shed to sleep in. We brought them to our house to join our two 10 month old KCs who roam around the garden in the daytime and go in and out of their run as they please. As the older birds are not hand tame and would love to escape, I thought we should keep them in the run for a few days then let them out where they would, I hope, join the other two as they forage. That’s the first question: how long to stay in the 8’ x 6’ run?
These older ducks are quite aggressive towards the younger ones, making head down darting and pecking movements to the younger ones and again, how long should we let this go on before making other arrangements? They are not in good condition and one has no wing feathers on one side making me think this is a bullied or very old duck. They produced one egg with a very thin shell that broke before we got inside the house so I want to feed them up before letting them go outside but also don’t want the younger ducks to be picked on!

Attachments

• 863C5F89-E798-4920-AD75-69933DB66C84.jpeg
    863C5F89-E798-4920-AD75-69933DB66C84.jpeg
    685 KB · Views: 12
if you let them out soon their going to leave

Could he malnutrition, ide get PRIME multivitims for birds give them lots with layer feed and oyster shell for vitamins

You can get bird gravel from petsmart and the prime too, ide start them on both since the bird gravel is crushed oyster shell ide sprinkle it on food

Its going to take a long time for them not to run away

Attachments

• 20180915_211232.jpg
    20180915_211232.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20180915_211237.jpg
    20180915_211237.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 8
You should probably keep them separated for a bit longer and set up a look-no-touch pen so that they can get used to seeing each other before introductions. A week or so might work so that they can see each other, but not fight. Also, as Jpat mentioned, if you let them out of their penned area too soon they could run off. You would want to keep them penned for at least 2-4 weeks before letting them free range. Maybe even longer.
Did you check them over for pests - lice and mites? They do look pretty rugged but with care and proper nutrition you can get them back on track.
Are they all the same sex or do you have hens and drakes? That might also add to the integration drama.
:welcome

You should probably keep them separated for a bit longer and set up a look-no-touch pen so that they can get used to seeing each other before introductions. A week or so might work so that they can see each other, but not fight. Also, as Jpat mentioned, if you let them out of their penned area too soon they could run off. You would want to keep them penned for at least 2-4 weeks before letting them free range. Maybe even longer.
Did you check them over for pests - lice and mites? They do look pretty rugged but with care and proper nutrition you can get them back on track.
Are they all the same sex or do you have hens and drakes? That might also add to the integration drama.
:welcome
Thanks verymuch; will try as you suggest.

if you let them out soon their going to leave

Could he malnutrition, ide get PRIME multivitims for birds give them lots with layer feed and oyster shell for vitamins

You can get bird gravel from petsmart and the prime too, ide start them on both since the bird gravel is crushed oyster shell ide sprinkle it on food

Its going to take a long time for them not to run away
Thanks; I will try as you suggest.

Look to be going through a molt. I feed Grower/Finisher plus scratch grain and fresh veggies. I provide oyster shell in a separate bowl. Look no touch for a few days. The introduction will be a bit of chasing and neck tying.
What sex are all the Ducks?..

Look to be going through a molt. I feed Grower/Finisher plus scratch grain and fresh veggies. I provide oyster shell in a separate bowl. Look no touch for a few days. The introduction will be a bit of chasing and neck tying.
What sex are all the Ducks?..
They are all female. Might be a moult; I certainly hope so.

Back
Top Bottom