Aggressive peacock

Matt Kennedy

Chirping
Aug 24, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Hi, we got a hen for our male about a week ago. They were perfectly fine until tonight. They went to roost and he attacked her at the neck. Is there anything I can Do? They're currently separated but I can't do that all winter.

It takes time for them to establish the pecking order, she probably didn't know she was infringing on his 'spot'. If they are free-range she can avoid him if there are problems, if they are penned you would have to provide hiding spots. It is a bit early for the hormones to kick in but young males have a difficult time controlling themselves when the season begins.

It takes time for them to establish the pecking order, she probably didn't know she was infringing on his 'spot'. If they are free-range she can avoid him if there are problems, if they are penned you would have to provide hiding spots. It is a bit early for the hormones to kick in but young males have a difficult time controlling themselves when the season begins.

Thank you. I really hope it stops. Their pen is 10x24 with a roosting plank across the middle. I guess I need another one. There is also an attached shed but it's smaller, about 8x10. I thought for sure with just 2 that would be enough.

Back
Top Bottom