Aggressive pecking

csaylorchickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2015
California
My Coop
My Coop
I have four hens, miss piggy is the lead hen. She is also the biggest. I have another one of the four that has been challenging her named dedra. It has been doable pecking nothing causing any harm just typical chest bumping and occasional peck. This morning they went full on battle royal. They were jumping flying pulling feathers out of their faces drawin small amount of blood around the face. I immidately picked up one and seperated them for a min, put them back and even worse! Omg. I had to literally peal dedra off of miss piggy. Right now I seperated dedra from the rest in a dog crate next to the chicken run and coop with food an water.
I read to seperate them but keep them close around the rest of the flock. For how long do I do this? What else can I do to help with the aggression?

I seperated them for three hours and put them back together without any fighting so far. But both have peck marks. They are small and one got pecked on the eye lid. Watching them closely. I sat with them for an hour and they walked around me and were peaceful

10 weeks old, golden sex links, four chickens. Coop is for four max chickens run is the bottom I the coop 3x4 run with an open door to a 10x10 closed off area.

Looking at the pictures from your profile, it looks like you have Faverolles. They are a very large breed. You coop, while cute, is much too small. You need a minimum of 5 sq ft of floor space inside the coop for these birds. Your run will need to be more than the average 10 sq. ft. per bird. I think their behavior is due to having too many birds in too small a space.

I'm extending the run to under the trampoline this weekend. I ordered all the supplies. That is a 12x12 area. That should be a good size for them to roam on top of the area under the coop

Hmmm, how do I make the coop bigger? Maybe I can take out the wall and add boarding to cover the whole top part and get rid of the planter on the side? Will that be big enough then?

Back
Top Bottom