1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive pullet behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CarolJ, Jun 21, 2011.

1. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I've got 7 pullets that are 18 weeks old. Although the ancona is the smallest of the group, she's also the most aggressive. She will get in front of another pullet, stretch up her neck and the feathers on her neck will stick out. Most of the other chickens will run away from her when she does that. The little black star will stare her down, and she backs off. Is that just normal behavior as they work out their pecking order? We've only had them for a week, but I haven't seen this behavior before this morning.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    [​IMG] Yes, this is perfectly normal behavior in the pecking order. It is so amazing to watch. There are just a few who absolutely rule and they usually don't need to remind the others at all. Then there are those who are constantly trying to upgrade their position. [​IMG] These are the ones who display the behavior you are talking about. I love the stare down! All of this behavior settles down, but it will occasionally flare up with any kind of change. Have fun with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by