Aggressive quail

elliebelly

Hatching
Mar 21, 2017
my quail have eaten there eggs and there young i have been trying to breed naturally and this is the first hatching from my pair but i dont know what to do? could it just be the male ?

that is a shame, how much space does the quails have, i have heard that the more of a natural home they have the better parents they are. i am hoping that i could let my quails hatch theirs eggs but i don' have an aviary, so i am not sure that they will.
hope someone can give you some advice.
good luck for next time.

What kind of quail are they? They actually ate the chicks, didn't just peck them to death? I haven't heard of that in quail, but I have heard of parents killing their chicks and that could be either one of the parents. You'd need to observe them closely when the chicks hatch to find out which one it is. Or you could just remove the roo before they hatch and let the hen do it alone.

If they are button/chinese quail and the parents were hatched and raised artificially then they can do that to their chicks, especially the males. It could well be just the male and you may have to remove him, or confine him to a little cage close by so he can still see the female, if you want your hen to sit and then raise the babies. I'm sorry that happened to you - they are funny little things.

Back
Top Bottom