Aggressive RIR Roo, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kingstonchicks, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Kingstonchicks

Kingstonchicks New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    My 5 month old RIR Roo has become aggressive. He runs up to me and puffs himself up, and runs circles around me. Used to be able to pet him but no more...not into getting bit! I know I have to show him who is boss, any suggestions?

2. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

I can hear the stew pot calling...................lol!

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    2 words - Freezer Camp!

4. queenbeezz

queenbeezz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Orlando
    Testostrone has hit. Use the old tried and true method. For the next week or two, every time you go out, pick him up, tuck him under your arm and carry him around for at least half an hour or more while you do your chores or just sit down with him. Talk to him, scratch him. My RR Roo, Fergus, was like that. He drew blood, chased the dog and jumped me everytime I went out. After a week or so of the "Cuddle treatment" he stopped. Now when I'm in the yard he follows me like a puppy. He probably will never be as sweet as he was, you have to remember he's an adult now and his job is to police the yard and protect his girls. If that donesn't improve his attitude it's off to freezer camp.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Do a search on aggressive roosters. There are several posts on rehabilitation. Realistically, I would eat or get rid of him. If he is starting at 5 months old, he is most likely going to be a real terror. Such a rooster "rehabilitated" or not should never be trusted around children. The most aggressive rooster I ever had was a RIR. He once flew into the air and flogged my brother-in-law in the chest. He continually harrassed a muscovy drake until one day the drake had enough and killed him-end of problem, but creation of another.

6. Goldenseal

Goldenseal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Central MN
    I'll take a side of garlic mashed with that! [​IMG]

lifes to short for that drama.

7. Kingstonchicks

Kingstonchicks New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Thanks for the input guys! I really do like him (when he likes me). He follows me everywhere when I'm outside like a puppy.Unfortunately the bad behavior is increasing. Maybe it's time to find a new home for him [​IMG] The girls will really miss him...

8. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    My White Leghorn became aggressive I swatted him across the coop with a broom. He's fine with me now, it took it couple weeks of swatting to show him that I was the Boss.

9. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I wouldn't get rid of him. My SS tries to act big and bad too, but we just pick him up or chase him back. He's all big and bad when we're outside of their pen, but when we come in... he runs like a ... "chicken"! lol He's a good boy, just needs some attitude adjustment once in a while.

10. i<3chickens

i<3chickens Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2010
    Ontario---Canada
    Quote:X 2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by