Aggressive roo, broody hen

Momma ash

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 27, 2013
South central Arkansas
So my hen has been on her eggs for 8 days. The last few time I've entered the pen my rooster has attacked. Usually my legs but today I was bent down checking my broody hen and he got my head. I don't really want to cull him unless it's a must. Is he just protecting her or is he going to get more aggressive? I have two children to think about. He doesn't attack my husband so far it's only me. But I am usually the only one getting the eggs from the other boxes.
Also he is just starting to grow his spurs (?), I think that's what they are called. I'm new to this.

Last edited:
If you have corrected his behavior a couple of times and he persists, CULL HIM before he does real damage to you or especially your children!!! He has no excuse for this behavior and will be yummy in the crockpot. These bad boys only get worse over time, and if he learns to respect you, it won't translate into respect for anyone else. Mary

welcome-byc.gif

If your rooster is just growing spurs, I'm guessing he's still pretty young? This is usually the time they start to show their aggression, and in my experience it doesn't get better. He may or may not be "protecting" the hen--I don't think so, myself---but that is no excuse. I don't buy the thinking of "he's just protecting the hens from me so it's okay he flogs the crap out of me". I outrank the rooster, and those are my hens. They don't need to be protected from me, he need to tolerate me doing whatever I want with them. I agree with Mrs K--he's warned you, and your kids are now at risk. Just cull him. Too many folks with sad tales of not liking chickens because they were attacked by a rooster as a child. Plus, they can do pretty good damage to a kid, physically.

If those are his chicks the hen is setting on, watch the roosters carefully for aggression, and cull accordingly. Temperament is highly hereditary!

He doesn't act aggressive towards anyone but me so far. However I do think it might be in out best interest to just go ahead and cull him. I can get a new rooster this spring. Thanks for all the advice!

I think you should definitely cull him now before he does damage. We had several young roos who were a little aggressive - severely injured one of my favorite hens (she ended up dying) and did the same to another little banty (she died too) they started fighting and hurting each other as they got older, and kept pulling feathers out of the girls. If you roo is attacking you now, he will probably end up going after your girls soon - my advice would be cull him.

Back
Top Bottom