Aggressive roo :(

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peeppeepbokbok, Sep 17, 2009.

1. peeppeepbokbok

peeppeepbokbok New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    Hey, I'm new here so i'm sorry if this isnt the correct area.

I have a young rooster called Mary who has just started to crow, And two other hens. they are all industrial meat chickens which i have had since they were a day old, and they are usually all very sweet birds. Mary (the roo, who i thought was a hen for some time [​IMG]) began to charge at me and peck my feet yesterday, and it was heartbreaking.

I've been doing some research and i heard that they are generally very aggressive. Does anybody else have experience with these type of chickens? I always used to cuddle him, and he would always run up and be adorable and sweet.

I kind of want to nip this one in the bud if possible.

we also have five isa brown hens, and he is very afraid of them. they are much older and we had them before we got my three. They sleep in different coops but are freerange during the day. The lead hen will chase mary and he runs off like a little sook.

Today, he tried to mate with ziggy when i let them out, so i pushed him off of her, and then he charged me. So i held him for ten minutes.

later when i fed them, i forced him to eat last. Then he attacked me again, so i held him, yet again until he just sat there and was calm once more. when he tried to peck him i'd grab his comb.

Am i doing the right thing? i feel sooo horrible.
    I know your supposed to carry them around, but he is SO heavy and bulky that i dont want to hurt him.

Does anybody have anymore tips on how to calm him down, so he wont attack me?

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
  3. peeppeepbokbok

peeppeepbokbok New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    Thanks' alot! [​IMG]

sorry, i didnt notice those!

4. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    A squirt gun filled with ammonia will take the starch out of his bloomers. Do not feel bad about applying the rod of correction. Better for all concerned. Maybe he has learned english and he now know what Mary means? Ha ha! Couldn't pass on that cheap shot! lol

Gerry
    24 friendly ladies of 4 breeds and no roos. Eggs only here.

5. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    I'm not certain, but ammonia sounds a bit risky. I think it could be damaging if you hit the roo just wrong. I've heard of vinegar being used and it is distasteful, but not dangerous. [​IMG]

6. Stefrobrts

Stefrobrts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2009
    I thought industrial meat type chickens didn't live much past the 8 weeks or so it takes for them to grow to butchering size. I'd think he's not going to be a problem for long.

We had a mean rooster, he just got meaner and meaner until he happened to spur my husband just right and cost us a $200 trip to the urgent care clinic. He was on the dinner table a few days later.

7. NotTheMomma

NotTheMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

WATER instead of amnonia please. Works just as well, but without the dangers. He who moves others' feet first, rules. Remember that. ALways make him move out of your way, and don't ever move out of his. Through-out the day, walk towards him, making him back out of your space. You could carry a broom to block any flogging attempts, but please don't hit him. Just use the broom to let him hit that instead of your leg, if it comes to that. Typically if you can make him back out of your space, and make him maintain a safe distance from you, then all is well. If you've ever watched several roosters together, they each have their own personal bubble around them. No other chicken will enter that space unless they want to charge him for a higher pecking order.

No need to abuse, harass, torture or be cruel. Hitting them with anything stronger than water could be harmful. That includes a stick, hoe, rake, etc. You could easily kill it, or break a wing/leg/neck. IMO, not worth killing them over. Don't throw anything at him that would hurt him either. Unless you're planning on culling for injuries.

Again, all just my honest, humble opinion.

8. peeppeepbokbok

peeppeepbokbok New Egg

Sep 17, 2009
    Quote:My meaties just turned one year old yesterday, so they have lived long past their time.
    give them a proper diet, lots of excersise and sunshine and they are actually really wonderful.
    i think the reason most of them die is because they arent exposed to the outside world and their immune system is compromised?

mine are wonderful and healthy.

My roo on the other hand has died. [​IMG]
    he was so so beautiful and i loved him, but he was so fat that he managed to snatch a half-slice of bread from my hand, run with it and swallow it whole. i tried to help but i couldnt and he choked, it was awful.

it was so sad because he was actually getting pretty tame, and very loving. I still think about him every day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by