1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Aggressive roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chulke, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Chulke

Chulke Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    So I got one roo for 13 hens and he needs to be taken down a notch or two! He runs at and attacks anyone who comes near the chicken coop...or run if you will ( they have a fenced in area about 26'x 24') complete with a coop with 6 nesting boxes...and an external 6 nesting boxes. I would let them roam free but I have too many big dogs roaming the neighborhood as well as possums and raccoons. Anyway does anyone have a good method for taking him down a notch or two before I have to find a way to get rid of him? I want him to protect the flock from external predators but not me.

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]
    I don't own a rooster, but there has been a lot of debate about what to do to "fix" the problem. If it were me, I would rehome him and find a calmer roo, but I have kids who go and check for eggs.

3. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Super Soaker water gun or hose. Coax him into charging and then let him have it, full on right in the face. Then, when he no longer charges folks, let him have it every once in a while to remind him who is boss.

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I don't have a roo either but I wouldn't put up with too much crap from one. There are plenty of really good-natured roos, the others usually end up in the stew pot.

5. Chulke

Chulke Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks for the info...yesterday I went in the run with this stick we've been using to keep him at bay and kinda did the same thing as you mentioned....I waited for him to charge and then just pecked him in the back with it...not super hard or anything but just enough to let him know I wasn't going to take his crap...then I just hung around in there and waited for him to do it again....it took three or four times but he got the hint and stopped...I'll just have to go in there daily and continue to do it until he figures it out...thanks again!

6. ninabl

ninabl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    franklin ky
    pre heat the oven to 350

7. DAFox

DAFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2009
    SW MO in Vernon Co
    Quote:He may never figure it out. You may have to carry a big stick in the yard all the time.
    I have only had problems with a very few roosters. I don't treat roosters like pets. The way I teach a rooster to respect me is to act like a dominant rooster. I knock a mating rooster off a hen when he's near me. When I feed the chickens, I don't allow the roosters near the food until I leave. I walk towards them and make them move away. If I am charged by a rooster, I catch him and pinch him (as if I was using a beak to bite him) until he puts his head down into a corner. I don't pinch hard. I just do it rapidly multiple times all around his back and neck, while I've got the other hand on his back, pushing down.
    Good luck,
    Dale-Ann

8. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    I'd recommend you go in the coop with some thick pants on, just stand still in there no matter what he does and wait him out. Let him go nuts, he'll get bored or tired eventually then realise you haven't actually attacked anyone... everyone else is ok with you being there.... probably glare at you and walk off calmly.

Once this happens you can slowly make your way out of the coop, freezing and waiting every time he re-attacks.

THIS IDEA WORKS with taming territorially aggressive parrots (so why not roosters), the idea being that once they are calm, you will leave, which is what they want, so you are praising them for being calm around you by leaving!

A few sessions like this and he will get a lot calmer [​IMG]

9. Stingrayg4

Stingrayg4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Agressive roosters are delicious. Replacement roosters are cheap and plentiful on craigs list. When they get mean, in the pot they go.

-S

10. ChickyLoo

ChickyLoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yeppers they do not like water. I tried dealing with mine by going in with a rake to push him away but it didn't tame him. Now I go in with a squirt bottle [​IMG] works like a charm. If my hands are full my 7 yo just stands with me aiming the squirt bottle in his direction just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by