Aggressive Rooster euthanasia at vet

More on aggressive rooster and dominance training. Training is so much easier and with permanent results when you start as soon as your boys begin to crow. The training I’ve personal experience is with Australorp. Other breeds may require more or less training. Example Rhode Island Red hens are great in a flock but researchers say the rooster temperament is typically very aggressive. There will always be exceptions. You train to teach rooster that you are the only Alpha of the flock.
This WORKS. I had to do this just a month ago with an older, retired game cock. (Chester)
My husband wanted him.
I did too. When I bought him, the old man TOLD me up front "This guy is mean as hell, be careful".
That was an understatement.
He was dangerous and I couldnt even change his water without help from my husband or some type large barrier I could place between Chester and my body.
I dont like to cull.
Chester LOVES all the chicks that get in his coop, he calls them in and offers them "treats". I watched him lay in the sun with chicks all around and on top of him. He did nothing.
I HAD to figure something out.
I looked up several YouTube videos..
This worked after 5 sessions.
Now, Chester RESPECTS me 100%. When I go in his coop, he walks all the way to the other end and waits for me to exit. He dont even "dance" around me.
This saved Chesters life.
VideoCapture_20220806-160217.jpg

Sometimes it's necessary to act fast, and sometimes there are alternatives. Here we started with chickens and a horrible rooster, and we learned. We then tried to reform difficult cockerels, and we learned even more. Now, no cockerel or rooster who thinks bad thoughts gets to stay, and they aren't rehomed, except for someone's dinner. I think that you are on shaky ground from a liability standpoint sending a dangerous rooster elsewhere, except as dinner. If this person mentioned by the OP hasn't had lots of experience with roosters of all sorts, it's not going to end well, and may not for you either.
I have taken birds to the vet's office for euthanasia, and it goes very well.
When a rooster is stalking and attacking the giants who bring food every day, he's not watching out for actual danger, and shows that he's an idiot!
Mary

How much damage can a rooster do? I have had a mean rooster before. He would jump in the air and beat my legs with his spurs. It might have hurt my feelings a little but I didn’t have to go to the hospital or anything.

I don’t think she is in any danger of a lawsuit from damaged caused by a chicken. I could be wrong though. I think 97% of the scary stories of mean roosters are highly exaggerated. How bad does it really get? Even a rooster attacking a small child can’t do that much damage but scare the kid a lot.

Last edited:
How much damage can a rooster do? I have had a mean rooster before. He would jump in the air and beat my legs with his spurs. It might have hurt my feelings a little but I didn’t have to go to the hospital or anything.

I don’t think she is in any danger of a lawsuit from damaged caused by a chicken. I could be wrong though. I think 97% of the scary stories of mean roosters are highly exaggerated. How bad does it really get? Even a rooster attacking a small child can’t do that much damage but scare the kid a lot.

They can inflict DEEP puncture wounds with their spurs -- which readily become infected and can even result in the loss of a limb.

Where children are involved the roosters deliberately go for the eyes and they can thus cause blindness and permanent maiming.

Apart from bruising, the spurs can easily puncture if not dulled and they can also draw blood from pecking if they decide to. That actually is how I measure who is going. Amy that kick at me are immediate gone, and any that draw blood from grabbing me twice are gone. A regular chicken peck and even an excited chicken peck for food aren't enough to draw blood. They have to try and hurt to break skin with their beaks, but it is very possible for them

A regular chicken peck and even an excited chicken peck for food aren't enough to draw blood. They have to try and hurt to break skin with their beaks, but it is very possible for them

I have a hen who will draw blood defending her nest when broody.

She's up for sale but I steered two families with kids away from her. If I don't find someone I think will handle her safely I will keep her or eat her.

I have a hen who will draw blood defending her nest when broody.

She's up for sale but I steered two families with kids away from her. If I don't find someone I think will handle her safely I will keep her or eat her.
Same. Broodies at my place get a pass with that because they don't do it after they're off the nest and I personally value them far more than a male. But they're also a heck of a lot easier to avoid too than a roaming rooster that is wanting to draw blood.

Same. Broodies at my place get a pass with that because they don't do it after they're off the nest and I personally value them far more than a male. But they're also a heck of a lot easier to avoid too than a roaming rooster that is wanting to draw blood.

I have learned to control her head by grasping the feathers on the back of her head -- the same place that the rooster grabs when mating.

UPDATE: A close friend who has chicken experience has offered to take my guy for me! I was absolutely THRILLED that she suggested it. She just bought a house with several acres and he will live happily ever after with his favorite hens. My friend knows 100% that he’s aggressive, and she is excited about having them.
Unexpected but awesome news!!
Wow outcome for mine was not the same……our first Roo was so human aggressive we could never let him out…. The second we walked even toward the coop he would flock the fence! N go absolutely insane at every family member. Our hens still have damage from him being so aggressive with mating too and it’s been 10 months. Glad you figured things out for him! It was hard on us but he was a serious liability for anyone to keep.

We have a small egg ranch in Medina county Texas I’be followed Backyard Chickens for years but just joined. Yes I have aggressive rooster experience. It’s the rooster job to be dominant to stand down predators and sound the alarm. But dangerous behavior towards the farmer has an answer besides the stew pot. If it’s not too late for the rooster and for your patience please give dominance training a try. It works on roosters- if you don’t mind investing 5 minutes a day ( keep penned after training) UNTIL training shows a distinct difference. I’m sending a YouTube link.

Yeah that didn’t work for us we did it for two months almost everyday our rooster got actually got worse! But he was just horrible!

Back
Top Bottom