Aggressive Rooster Help Please

Thanks for your advice! We do sometimes hand feed the hens (and Pingu but less so now!) but we don't pick them up and cuddle. I had read about picking roos up as @My2butterflies suggests above but the one time I tried, with gloves on, he was having none of it and I had no chance of getting hold of him! I don't ever strike him and don't want to hurt him, so just use the stick to defend/deter, it's just frustrating as it seems like we've solved it and then he'll try again.
Maybe try dropping the treats at his feet for him to call the girl’s instead of feeding from your hand. In my experience that makes you seem like competition for the girls and in Pingu’s mind they belong to him. When I quit hand feeding and did that it helped tremendously.
I sure hope you can work out!

My 85 year old mother says, "I am in wonderful shape, unless I fall." The fall can change everything. I would worry about your mother tripping over an attacking rooster. Or falling trying to move out of the way. If she does go down, then she (like a child) will be facing him at eye level.

There are nice roosters, if you want a rooster, have a NICE one.

Mrs K

You have given him many chances, and he's failed. Your mother doesn't need to watch out for this bird, and he will continue to be dangerous, likely worse over time.
Idiots who attack the giants who bring food aren't worth the problems they cause, and while he's plotting his next attack, he's not taking care of his flock.
Human aggression is part genetic and part management, and this bird lost out on how to behave well.
I'm also a senior citizen, and have no time or interest in dancing around a rooster who's a jerk.
Mary

Sorry for lengthy post but these are my thoughts on this situation.
Just watching the video it looks like to me he respects the stick but not much else. Every time you move it seemed to me he moved to enter your path. If that is indeed what is happening next time I would blast through him as abruptly and intimidatingly as I could make him understand you are to one to respect not the stick. I’m not a super experienced owning chickens Just my second year personally owning them, but was raised on a farm with a few chickens mostly cattle and no animal is worth the trouble of a serious hospital visit. I understand wanting to give chances and don’t have a problem with that but if it were me I would make sure someone else was the primary care taker while trying to rehabilitate. Like someone else said your mother can go from spry 71 to disabled 72 with one tangle of feet trying to defend or escape. Heaven forbid it happen but it could. Heck I’m 38 and I trip all over myself trying to get away from spiders and snakes that aren’t even attacking because I’m uncomfortable around them. If she’s uncomfortable she will focus more on the rooster than surroundings and easily fall.

Someone told me recently that picking the rooster up and giving him special treats has helped. Also, he said that he goes out at night and holds the rooster while talking to him in a calm voice.
I don't know if this works, but it's worth a try.

Last edited:
Does
Thanks for your advice! We do sometimes hand feed the hens (and Pingu but less so now!) but we don't pick them up and cuddle. I had read about picking roos up as @My2butterflies suggests above but the one time I tried, with gloves on, he was having none of it and I had no chance of getting hold of him! I don't ever strike him and don't want to hurt him, so just use the stick to defend/deter, it's just frustrating as it seems like we've solved it and then he'll try again.
Our rooster has never been aggressive with my husband and I or his hens; he's only ever been aggressive with his son (so for now we've been giving them turns out and lock one for a bit and then the other; at least just until we make runs and coops for each one).
But whenever we tried capturing him, he's just too fast for us in the open, so we usually usher him inside the run slowly and then with a crate slowly capture him. It's gradually been easier for us to grab him and accustom him to us carrying him and petting him, it's worked so far perhaps you could try that. Champion (our rooster) was definitely not one to be happy about being captured at the start, he'd turn purple (literally) from anger, now he's gotten used to it.
At the start when they didn't know us they were really nervous and they'd jump and fly off, I always made sure to move slowly whenever I got close (but never gave them my back) so they got used to me and I always threw the food each time closer to where I was, now they all basically eat at my feet, even the hens with chicks and they're usually aggressive even with each other (seriously aggressive we've had fights between them and by the time we got to them they were already bleeding).
I have to say that working on giving them their food somewhat spaced out and chasing after them when they did get aggressive has also calmed the hens down immensely, these last two weeks they've stabilized.
Your rooster might just need to feel like he's home and no one is a threat but rather a friend...?
Just a thought. Might be wrong, don't know how your breed usually behaves. These chickens we have are breed to be fighting chickens, so it's been a huge relief that they've become more calm.
How big is the space they are in? Maybe they are stressed because they lack space...?

Thanks again for all these thoughts and sorry for the slow replies! I am broaching the subject of culling him with my Mum (it's her decision really). I really feel like we have failed somehow in our management... we never had rooster issues until our last boy became oddly aggressive with the hens (was totally fine with people) and so he was humanely dispatched. We had a gap without a rooster and the hens couldn't seem to settle without one, a lot of bullying going on, and we decided to add Pingu. For the first few months it was really perfect and I have to say that the flock is much happier with him, the hens are all totally calm with each other, but it's no good if Pingu spoils it for my Mum. It is a difficult issue as my brother who lives with my parents, although is 42, loves him and has no issues with him at all. Pingu will come up to him happily, is never aggressive and my brother can pick him up and carry him around.

@Eden83_haaretz, thanks for your thoughts too. I'm not sure if you're able to see the video I added earlier to get a bit of an idea (and I am not good at estimating space) but the chickens have a lot of room and two large sheds (joined with a hole in the wall) for a coop. I guess we have done something wrong but Pingu has a lot of space, 12 hens, no health issues we can tell, plenty of food and water stations and basically nothing I can think of to explain his behaviour. Perhaps he is just that way inclined and we are only seeing it now since this is his first spring as a mature guy.

I think once Pingu is gone we will just stop having roosters as it's depressing to take them on and cull them because we have failed to keep them in order, really makes you feel guilty! I suppose other people manage hens fine without them, but I guess we may also need to remove certain hens who are troublesome too. It's disappointing as we have always enjoyed keeping roos and were so happy with our Pingu addition.

This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we don't back away from him or let him think we are nervous
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.
We had a nearly identical situation with a rooster we really liked named Black Strap. He was the #2 rooster. I think he started getting aggressive so he’d not become #3 in line. Bottom line for me is people safety. For the sake of my kids and my neighbors kids he had to go to the pot. We were a bit sad because he was beautiful and good with the hens. But I wanted to know my 3 year old and 18 month old are safe playing in the yard without needing my birds locked up.

Thanks again for all these thoughts and sorry for the slow replies! I am broaching the subject of culling him with my Mum (it's her decision really). I really feel like we have failed somehow in our management... we never had rooster issues until our last boy became oddly aggressive with the hens (was totally fine with people) and so he was humanely dispatched. We had a gap without a rooster and the hens couldn't seem to settle without one, a lot of bullying going on, and we decided to add Pingu. For the first few months it was really perfect and I have to say that the flock is much happier with him, the hens are all totally calm with each other, but it's no good if Pingu spoils it for my Mum. It is a difficult issue as my brother who lives with my parents, although is 42, loves him and has no issues with him at all. Pingu will come up to him happily, is never aggressive and my brother can pick him up and carry him around.

@Eden83_haaretz, thanks for your thoughts too. I'm not sure if you're able to see the video I added earlier to get a bit of an idea (and I am not good at estimating space) but the chickens have a lot of room and two large sheds (joined with a hole in the wall) for a coop. I guess we have done something wrong but Pingu has a lot of space, 12 hens, no health issues we can tell, plenty of food and water stations and basically nothing I can think of to explain his behaviour. Perhaps he is just that way inclined and we are only seeing it now since this is his first spring as a mature guy.

I think once Pingu is gone we will just stop having roosters as it's depressing to take them on and cull them because we have failed to keep them in order, really makes you feel guilty! I suppose other people manage hens fine without them, but I guess we may also need to remove certain hens who are troublesome too. It's disappointing as we have always enjoyed keeping roos and were so happy with our Pingu addition.
I really don’t think you failed at all. Some Roos just are more dominant. I have three good roosters now. You can find one too but there is always that chance. I have found that every Wyandotte rooster I’ve ever had has been gentle. Maybe coincidence but the breed is known to be like that.

You haven't failed him, he's failed you! His genetics are the problem, and he's turning into who he is. There are so many roosters who are NOT human aggressive, or nasty to their flockmates, it's just unfortunate that your first two have been wrong.
Most of the bad actors we've had showed their attitudes as cockerels, although once in a while a year old rooster has decided to become an attack bird. We had one like that last year.
I also think that having a rooster completes the flock dynamics, it just needs to be the right individual. Most Salmon Favorelles are very nice, BTW.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom