Aggressive Rooster Help Please

Thanks all for your kind words. I think we have settled it now that we will let him go in the coming days. On Monday I essentially walked right through him to make a point, which he didn't take kindly to, and since then he is running from me (I didn't hurt him but defended myself with my boot pretty fiercely and continued to move him out of my way until he really got the point).

The area where the chickens are kept runs alongside our driveway and occasionally my Mum walks up and down the drive to my uncle's house at the road end. I noticed that Pingu chases her up and down the fence and I think this is a large part of the problem - he thinks each time that he has successfully chased her off. Now she stops by him, stands up tall, makes herself as big as possible until he backs down and moves away. We are planning for him to go anyway but until that is organised I figure it won't hurt to nip that in the bud!

I have a great BCM rooster but come the spring he will occasionally come at me, not often, but once in a while, hormones I guess. Anyway, when he does that, I grab hin and hold him down on the ground and push his beak to the ground as well. I hold him there, speaking softly to him and gradually release pressure. Eventually he will submit and when I take my hands off him, he will stay in that position by himself for a few minutes. It reinforces and reminds him of my place in the pecking order, the head. I did have a rooster, his brother, that would not submit at all. He was mean and wasn’t going to change. Freezer camp for him. Good luck.

This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we don't back away from him or let him think we are nervous
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

Thanks very much for your thoughts.
I’ve had 7 different roosters now, and every single one tried this at some point, to varying degrees. I tried kicking, pushing with a stick, getting big, yelling and probably other things that were suggested. I got rid of several. I finally stumbled across advice that actually worked: pick him up. You, your mother, anyone who will ever be around him. Pick him up, gently but firmly, restrain him, carry him around for a while. It’s intimidating to do, but you’ll be surprised how quickly he settles down and respects you as the boss. Mine is a cherub now lol.

This is long, sorry, and I expect most of you will say to eat him but it's worth an ask. :p

Start of September 2020 we took on our rooster, Pingu. 3.5 months old, very good-natured with adults, children, cats and most importantly, the hens. He settled in really well and solved the issues we had with a very dominant hen causing havoc - since he arrived the flock has been very harmonious. We do not breed chickens and added another rooster to settle the flock, as it did, and also just to give one a home and because we enjoy keeping them.

From December through to April chickens here had to be confined indoors due to the bird flu epidemic. Over winter, Pingu once or twice half-heartedly went for one of my nieces. However, we gave him the benefit of the doubt as I think it was quite stressful for him, protecting his flock in an enclosed space. I worked with my niece on how to behave (ie. not backing away from him and being nervous, holding her ground whilst still being respectful of him and his role) and it stopped.

A little later he tried it with my Mum. She is their primary carer as the flock lives with my parents. She is 71 and quite sprightly for her age, but a little smaller than the rest of us (around 5'5") and not so bold. We were then able to take down the polytunnel and let them go outside again, a huge relief for all involved, and we thought this would solve the issue.

Fast forward to May and he will now try and attack my Mum everyday and has done for weeks. He will try it with me too. We have read various advice on the subject and worked really hard to stop it, but I'm at somewhat of a loss. He will never, ever try to attack men in our family and much of the time with me he is totally fine, then suddenly he will just change his mind and have a go - this is particularly noticeable if I have not been in there for a few days and I assume because he feels he gets the upper-hand with my Mum and then thinks he'll try it with me too. This morning my Mum went in and let them out, fed them, all fine and calm. She got to the orchard gate to come out and he jumped up behind her and attacked her legs.

So, what can we do, apart from cull him? I do think he deserves a chance... it is his first spring as a mature roo (and I heard a lot of roosters over here went a bit crazy lately) and he is really excellent with the hens and most people. However he is making my Mum afraid. My nieces actually emigrated so children don't go in there anymore, and I wouldn't allow it currently with his behaviour. When dealing with him we try to:

- be respectful of him and what he does, ie. not stomp about and intentionally get in his way, but to give an air of authority. We move at a sensible pace, don't make lots of noise and don't crowd him and the hens
- IF he approaches looking like he will attack then we stand tall, make ourselves look as big as possible. I generally then take a determined step towards him and stare him out and he will back off, but I am not sure my Mum is confident enough to do this
- we do not intentionally hit/kick or do anything to hurt him but we carry a stick and if he tries to attack, we hold this up so he is essentially just fighting the stick and we use it to push him away. He gives up and for the rest of your time in there will keep away, until you go in the next day and it starts over again!

He has 12 hens and loads of space. We culled our last rooster as he became aggressive with the hens (but was great with people!) and now we have the opposite problem and I feel pretty bad about the prospect of culling him... I am sure some of it is down to our management of him and so we'd like to work on that. Tonight my partner and I will take him off the perch at night and file his spurs blunt as a starting point.

I have a little experience with aggressive roosters. I had one that I finally had someone shoot because I was so afraid of him. By the way - from my experience - it always starts during their first spring. I really think it is because they are doing their job of protecting the hens.
I have a new rooster this year and just as you described, he was wonderful when he was younger but as he got older, he started attacking. Once he was eating out of my hand and I didn’t have any more food and he started attacking. I have read a lot about why chickens attack and learned that the rooster needs to understand that you are dominant. Well I grabbed that rooster and held him in my arms for a while and told him that wasn’t allowed. When I put him down, he behaved better. A couple of weeks later, I had to repeat this process. Then he seemed to be ok. I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and when I came back he was VERy aggressive. I couldn’t even catch him so I finally let him out of the run and decided if a wild creature caught him so be it. Well he escaped the wild creatures, but my puppy chased him around relentlessly. He ended up spending the entire day outside of the run. At the end of the day he was outside the run asking to be let in. He has not attacked me since then. I don’t think it was being outside that changed him, (because most chickens like to free range, I think it was being chased by my dog. I happen to be 66 years old so only a little younger than your mom. If she is afraid of the rooster, perhaps someone else could help her catch it and then she can hold it and tell him who is boss. I have also decided not to have eye contact with my rooster anymore also. It always seems that he attacks me when I am looking at him. I do watch my back but as long as I don’t look him in the eye he seems to do better. I also read that once they get past this first spring, that roosters calm down a little. I say - give him some time and help your mom to teach the rooster who is boss. Hitting the rooster will only make him more aggressive.

I just wrote a very long response to your letter. Iwasn’t logged in and when I logged in it disappeared. :(((((. Give him another chance. I’ll write more later. I’ve had a lot of experience with aggressive roosters. I am 66. He can be saved.

Ok, I was able to find the post that disappeared into cyber space.

I have a little experience with aggressive roosters. I had one that I finally had someone shoot because I was so afraid of him. By the way - from my experience - it always starts during their first spring. I really think it is because they are doing their job of protecting the hens.
I have a new rooster this year and just as you described, he was wonderful when he was younger but as he got older, he started attacking. One day he was eating out of my hand and I didn’t have any more food and he started attacking. I have read a lot about why roosters attack and learned that the rooster needs to understand that you are dominant. Well I grabbed that rooster and held him in my arms for a while and told him that wasn’t allowed. When I put him down, he behaved better. A couple of weeks later, I had to repeat this process. Then he seemed to be ok. I went on vacation for a couple of weeks and when I came back he was VERy aggressive. I couldn’t even catch him so I finally let him out of the run and decided if a wild creature caught him so be it. Well he escaped the wild creatures, but my puppy chased him around relentlessly. He ended up spending the entire day outside of the run. At the end of the day he was outside the run asking to be let in. He has not attacked me since then. I don’t think it was being outside that changed him, (because most chickens like to free range, I think it was being chased by my dog! Regardless, I think there is hope for your rooster. You must have a very large run. No grass grows in mine.

My rooster is aggressive with both. Our last remaining hen has big wounds under her wings and her comb was ragged. She would run from the Roo and twice was gone for 3 days ( we live in the country). Last time she came home she went straight to my daughter and looked weak, wet and bedraggled. We made an old kitty playhouse into a new coop and put in on our covered back deck. It isn’t large enough for a permanent home but she is healing and we have made quite a pet out of her. As for humans, the Roo is sneaky and aggressive. He likes to attack from behind. I’d like to give him to a hungry family but who would want to deal with a huge nasty rooster. I can’t place an ad because too many folks around here have alternate plans for roosters.

My aggressive rooster experiences have taught me how to bring him back to benign behavior.
I calmly creep into the roosting chickens at night with a headlamp on. Speaking calmly and using a special love coo I tamed them with when young, I pick up the rooster from his perch and quickly put him under my arm until he calms. I then put him down keeping him still holding him with his wings at his side. Then, I gently press him down with one hand and with the other hand I press his head gently to the ground and hold it there for about a minute at a time all the while speaking gently and cooing. I repeat this a few time in each session.
After a few night raids on Mr. Roos roost time he begins to understand I’m the dominate one and no longer sidles or attacks.
Catching the aggressiveness in the sidling stage will make it easier to stop further progression in aggression.
Protecting his girls is his big job, but also providing. I make sure to give treats to them through him. I put mealworms near him, he calls the hens, and gets the credit without competition from me.
Last year, a woman in Arkansas died by bleeding out when her rooster spurred her legs hitting an artery. I say this not to frighten, but as a caution. If a rooster continues his aggressiveness and will not submit, he gets a new home or goes for a long walk in the desert!

Pick him up and have your mother pick him up also, every single day. Tuck him under your arm/on your side and walk around with him for at least 2, 3 minutes every time. I do it when I'm almost done my chores and .am just bringing back empty buckets and such to the feed area. If he's very squirmy, try gently going "shhhhh"...it seams to hypnotize mine for some reason...all 400+ that I've had through the years haha!

Then pet him gently on the head and shoulder blades as these are the 2 spots that show who's boss and talk to him or to whoever's walking with you just so he gets use to your normal, calm voice. You can also pet him under his beak and on his wattles.

Every year I get some that are agressive and this always works and most end up coming up to me every time I'm out there and follow me around and gently cluck away while walking with me just like hens would do when they follow their roo. They really understand that your the alpha if you do to them what they should do to the hens.. Just be gentle so they don't think they need to compete with you. Giving him a treat every day could be good too even if he'll probably just his hens so they can have the treat. He's still going to appreciate having better treats for his girls than your other room haha!

I've dealt with so many animals and I really find that patience, gentleness and being calm around them is really the key.

I have a goose that always attacks me during mating season (I think he has a crush on me 🤣) and I kneel down, flip him around and gently bring him between my legs (while gently holding his head) and pet his belly and neck. He absolutely hates it but boy does it make him want to get away from me and eventually, he thinks twice before going to the big bad lady who pets everything on the farm haha. And then he starts again the following spring haha!

Good luck! Be patient and calm!! They really do feel our stress and such.

my Mum walks up and down the drive to my uncle's house at the road end. I noticed that Pingu chases her up and down the fence and I think this is a large part of the problem - he thinks each time that he has successfully chased her off. Now she stops by him, stands up tall, makes herself as big as possible until he backs down and moves away.
Every time he comes running at her, she might want to use this wonderful tool to remind him of some manners:
1621082149975.png

A nice sharp jet of cold water will help his recollection ability. ;)

Back
Top Bottom