Aggressive rooster ! Help

lovemyDart

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 11, 2014
Fenton MI
Hi I have a rooster who wont listen to me . He attacks me every time i get close to him . He pecks me and usually draws blood , how do i tame him ?

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Here is a good link on taming agressive roosters:

Dealing with Roosters - Roo Behavior

Keep in mind, however, that you can't tame all roosters. Some are just mean, and it can be hereditary. Your best option may be to get rid of the rooster and send it to the stew pot. A mean rooster is no fun to have around, and you don't want his offspring possibly inheriting the bad temperament.

If he was my rooster, I wouldn't keep him. A mean rooster is a threat, especially to young children.

Last edited:
Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wyandottes X2 There is no reason to keep a mean rooster. They can do great bodily harm to you and once they go bad, they do not turn around their attitudes. There are methods to help train your rooster, but you will not change his attitude, only how he sees you. And there is no guarantee these methods will work on a mean rooster.

So your best bet is to send him to the stew pot or rehome him. And never let little children around mean roosters. They can hurt the little kids badly.

Welcome to our flock!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X4, there are too many nice roosters needing homes to put up with a bad one.

there are some ways you can make it easier to deal with for one the thing that are drawing blood are his spurs i personally don't know how to remove them but you can ask and the next thing is LET HIM KNOW YOU ARE THE BOSS!!!! there is an article i think one of the other people posted it about procedures that you can do to calm down an aggressive rooster. If all the things you do don't work than you have two options to eat him or put him far in the woods for the coyotes. I had an aggressive rooster once and what we did was we ate him nothing seemed to work next time handle him ALOT and give him ALOT of attention when he is a chick so he gets used to people and like i said earlier LET HIM KNOW YOU ARE SUPERIOR!!! make noises, make you self look big BE THE ROOSTER it may sound foolish but it works!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

I would definitely get rid of your rooster. "Taming" roosters is unreliable, and may lead to a false sense of security, only to have a person (perhaps a child) get injured. Rehoming him is not the best option, since he would then become someone else's problem.

There is never a good reason to keep a BAD roo. It is a true buyers market for roosters - so many worthwhile ones deserving of a good home and way too few people who want to take them in. Once you have 20 posts, you can participate in the buy,sell trade forum. There is even a second animals for free rehoming. You can even find fine show or breeding quality roosters at low or no cost. Bad roosters should swim with the noodles in chicken soup.
Drumstick Diva has spoken.
gig.gif
. It is true though. Welcome to Backyard chickens. You can take a look at the BST forum even in you cant participate.

Back
Top Bottom