Aggressive rooster

What should i do with the aggresive rooster esp since i have young children and free range?

• Get rid of him

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Work with him

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

nconley11

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
So i have like a 8x8x8 coop with 10 hens and a rooster, but they free range on about 6 acres. Anyway i used to have 3 roosters but 3 was too many and i had major aggression issues with the roosters as bees but kids esp. So i got rid of 2 of them and kept the dominate roo since we had little to no issues with him. We got rid of the other 2, 2to 3 months ago and id say within the last month or so we've seen an increase in incidents with our single rooster. Today he attacked my soon to be 1year old and drew blood in multiple places ( i feel horrible) he wasn't neat him when i walked away/turned my back. The worse marks are on my sons back which makes me think the rooster started it.
This will never happen again. I'm so upset! Ill get rid of him if i have to obviously, but Just looking for other options. We've had him since a chick and he protects my girls. When the other 2 would get in attached mode i could pin them unscathed and show them whose boss but this got is so big and almost gets more crazy aggressive when i go after him. He is an easter egger (Americana?) If that helps.
Does free ranging make roosters more aggressive? I didn't have this issue before we free ranged
Thanks!

We had an ameracuana roo for a while he was really sweet up until one day he attacked my then 3 year old when we were in yard ,for no obvious reason. I thought it was a random thing. 2 days later he comes after me while i was watering everyone. A week went bu after that and he went after the hubby. It was the end for him after that one. We tried showing him we were top bird and he would do like yours and get more aggressive when we were trying to get him. We free range also but i have had 2 other roosters (speckled sussex and cochin) since then with no aggressive issues. Im not sure if it waa the breed or just an onrey roo but i wouldnt trust an aggressive roo with an almoat 1 year old those talons are mean.

I don't think free range makes them more aggressive but it might give them more opportunities as opposed to being locked up. Breed or type doesn't matter. As far as I am concerned you have only one option, get rid of him. I would not tolerate that at all. You may be lucky it was the back, your son's eyes may be gone otherwise.

It sounds to me like he maybe a cockerel, not a rooster. They can change as they mature. As you mentioned he was gradually becoming more aggressive for a time.

Why do you want a rooster? What are your goals? The only reason you need one is if you want fertile eggs, everything else is personal preference. Flocks of pure hens, no roosters, can do extremely well. They can take care of themselves. In my opinion and experience the protection you get from a rooster is often greatly exaggerated. In all the predator attacks I've had the rooster was unharmed but other chickens were lost.

If you feel you absolutely have to have a rooster you can try finding a fully mature one and see how it goes, they are not all bad, but the safety of your son demands that that specific one is gone. You just cannot take a chance.

i am sorry for your child who was hurt, and who may always be afraid of chickens now.
roosters can do real physical damage to humans.
that is the shame of nasty roosters, they sometimes ruin the joy and pleasure some people get from having a home flock.
i don't hold much hope for you changing your roosters temperament.
my advise would be find a place for him (not a home with children or unsuspecting new owners) or do away with him.
there are lots of Good Roosters out there being culled every day.
there is no need to keep a bad one.

So i have like a 8x8x8 coop with 10 hens and a rooster, but they free range on about 6 acres. Anyway i used to have 3 roosters but 3 was too many and i had major aggression issues with the roosters as bees but kids esp. So i got rid of 2 of them and kept the dominate roo since we had little to no issues with him. We got rid of the other 2, 2to 3 months ago and id say within the last month or so we've seen an increase in incidents with our single rooster. Today he attacked my soon to be 1year old and drew blood in multiple places ( i feel horrible) he wasn't neat him when i walked away/turned my back. The worse marks are on my sons back which makes me think the rooster started it.
This will never happen again. I'm so upset! Ill get rid of him if i have to obviously, but Just looking for other options. We've had him since a chick and he protects my girls. When the other 2 would get in attached mode i could pin them unscathed and show them whose boss but this got is so big and almost gets more crazy aggressive when i go after him. He is an easter egger (Americana?) If that helps.
Does free ranging make roosters more aggressive? I didn't have this issue before we free ranged
Thanks!
There i no reason to believe that free ranging can make a cock more aggressive.
It seems possible that a cock might become more protective, the difference in final outcome may be the same.
Despite what many say, I don't think chickens do make good pets.
It needs to be born in mind that the cock generally does what it's supposed to do; protect the hens. If that cock think you're a threat then he may attack you.
The question is then why does that cock see you, or your son in this case as a threat?
I've really liked all the cocks I've had here. Some have been harder work than others.
I'll only get rid of a cock either by killing it or giving it away if 1) there are just too many in the tribe and the hens are suffering 2) i've got a serial rapist with no tribe allegiances
They get eaten.
There's a very good article here on BYC about cock behaviour and how to deal with it.
It might be worth reading before you come to a decision..

When my roo became too aggressive this spring, I ended up removing him temporarily from the flock. He’s been in a parallel pen away from the hens for about a month now, and his aggression has dropped dramatically. Testosterone rises in spring and summer, so
I’m hoping by fall he’s cooled his jets and he can be put back with the girls. Mine is young, only a year, so he needs some time to mature. He can see the hens but can’t get to them. The temporary coop isn’t for cold weather, so he will go back with the girls in a month or so, have no idea how that will go but am hopeful.

Also I don’t free range, so I don’t think that’s the cause of the problem.

Oh trust me I'm thoroughly grateful that there was no more damage and very aware that it could have been his eyes or face. He is too young to remember so he shouldn't have a fear chickens thankfully. We hatched 7 chicks out this year for the first time since we had the roosters. I'd like to have chicks again in the future but I definitely could a new rooster later for that.

When my roo became too aggressive this spring, I ended up removing him temporarily from the flock. He’s been in a parallel pen away from the hens for about a month now, and his aggression has dropped dramatically. Testosterone rises in spring and summer, so
I’m hoping by fall he’s cooled his jets and he can be put back with the girls. Mine is young, only a year, so he needs some time to mature. He can see the hens but can’t get to them. The temporary coop isn’t for cold weather, so he will go back with the girls in a month or so, have no idea how that will go but am hopeful.

Also I don’t free range, so I don’t think that’s the cause of the problem.
The was a year in April

Let your son and the rooster duke it out to see who's top dog.......

All kidding aside, if it was me I'd get rid of the rooster. Just not worth the risk, I don't want to imagine some kid losing their eye when the warning signs were there and it could have been avoided!

Back
Top Bottom