Aggressive rooster

ChickenKiera

Songster
Oct 17, 2019
Ok, so I have a lot to say
I have a rooster called Pippin and he is starting to attack people (by that I mean like using his claws and beak) and now all my family is saying that we have to get rid of him otherwise he will get worse.
However he doesn’t attack me...
He is with at least 40 hens and one other rooster (the same age as him) and I have seen that Bertie (the non aggressive rooster) has got a cut on his face. Could this be from the aggressive rooster?
Also, is there a way to stop him attacking people and the other rooster because I really don’t want to get rid of him 😢
So to sum it all up
-do you think the cut on the other rooster face is from the aggressive rooster? (I will put a picture up of it)
-and is there any way to make my aggressive rooster non-aggressive to people so we don’t have to give him away?

Attachments

• 43C9B609-A7A7-4142-8DCD-0DA7CEDF0818.jpeg
    43C9B609-A7A7-4142-8DCD-0DA7CEDF0818.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 03F47E1B-3E86-4EBB-BE37-B854B0C4A5CE.jpeg
    03F47E1B-3E86-4EBB-BE37-B854B0C4A5CE.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 3AEBA75C-FC43-48CB-A799-6E0F97F17644.jpeg
    3AEBA75C-FC43-48CB-A799-6E0F97F17644.jpeg
    834.4 KB · Views: 8
How old are these birds?
Your wounded rooster could have been injured in so many ways, and yes, one of them is in a spat with your other rooster.
Do you expect that everyone else should have to protect themselves from this one aggressive rooster? Are children involved? People, especially children, can loose eyes and have other very serious wounds inflicted by this bird, and he will get stronger, and have longer spurs, if he's still young.
He may (so far!) be okay with you, but you can't ever convince him to ignore other people, since he's decided otherwise.
I'm with your family on this one...
Mary

How old are these birds?
Your wounded rooster could have been injured in so many ways, and yes, one of them is in a spat with your other rooster.
Do you expect that everyone else should have to protect themselves from this one aggressive rooster? Are children involved? People, especially children, can loose eyes and have other very serious wounds inflicted by this bird, and he will get stronger, and have longer spurs, if he's still young.
He may (so far!) be okay with you, but you can't ever convince him to ignore other people, since he's decided otherwise.
I'm with your family on this one...
Mary
Thankyou, they are about 22 weeks old and if he keeps on getting worse I might just get rid of him even though it will be really upsetting. There are children involved so I would prefer for him to go then a child becoming blind, thank you for your opinion I really appreciate it and if he attacked me I probably would of had a different point of view of things

I had a black samatra rooster for a short time. My husband had purchased a grown pair of them for my birthday. Sinbad and Samantha.
He behaved very well around me and i moved about and never even glanced at him or had any fear. My daughter at the time was around 10 and told me he had dodged at her a couple times and i was sceptical, as h3 was a complete gentelman around me.
Then one daY i came home from work and my husband said "well i have good news and bad news, what do you want to hear first?" Well i dont remember what the good news was but the bad news goes like this. "I was walking across the yard today and your rooster attacked me in the back of the leg. So i nudged him away with my boot, immediatly he charged me again and i kicked him hard enough to put a football through the goal posts and thought that would be the end of that. i started on my journey back to the house and all of the sudden he was spurring and scratching at the back of my head!. So the bad news is i went to the house and got my pistol and finished the fight for good"

So yes, your rooster can pick and choose who he will and will not attack.
Its time for him to go to the big chicken coop in the sky.

Last edited:
We got rid of a fav Rooste called Enrique or Ricky for short. Gave him to my son, too loud for in town like us. He wa a beautiful but loud barred rock. My son ate him I know but won't say for sure. I don't' blame them either way. Wife won't let us eat them. whatever.

He's so young; I wouldn't give up on him yet. You know he's protecting his girls what hes programmed to do. I have your solution I believe. I saw a wonderful video on YouTube on this sibject. A very kind chicken man shows how to hold down the roo and get through to him that the humans are in charge. Do some searching and find it and please try this on your boy. I'm going to do the same. I have one "JimFeathers" who won't bother me or hubby but everyone else but he takes care of those hens so well and they love him! The people he goes after have to have hands on him when he's being held down ( not hurt him) so he knows that they are dominent. Hope you will try to save your boy.😊

He's so young; I wouldn't give up on him yet. You know he's protecting his girls what hes programmed to do. I have your solution I believe. I saw a wonderful video on YouTube on this sibject. A very kind chicken man shows how to hold down the roo and get through to him that the humans are in charge. Do some searching and find it and please try this on your boy. I'm going to do the same. I have one "JimFeathers" who won't bother me or hubby but everyone else but he takes care of those hens so well and they love him! The people he goes after have to have hands on him when he's being held down ( not hurt him) so he knows that they are dominent. Hope you will try to save your boy.😊
That sounds like a good idea, but lots of different people go into the coop to see the hens and roosters so would he only know that I (and other people who always go in there) are dominant, and also there are children who go in there. My other rooster is also starting to attack so I don’t know if I should just get rid of them both before they get their spurs or try and do the thing that you said.

That sounds like a good idea, but lots of different people go into the coop to see the hens and roosters so would he only know that I (and other people who always go in there) are dominant, and also there are children who go in there. My other rooster is also starting to attack so I don’t know if I should just get rid of them both before they get their spurs or try and do the thing that you said.
Well at the very least view the video. I believe it's name is "SSL" something. Re: the children he mentions them; they would come over and do hands on too so roo would know. Ea person would need a session. Worth not taking an innocent boys life. Keep the faith!

Back
Top Bottom