Aggressive Rooster

Sorry I was reading something else after ur post and git confused and now I realize that u werent the person that ordered straight run. Sorry again

No problem, I completely understand! It's easy to get things jumbled up when you're reading a lot of posts.

You don't need roosters to get eggs. Keep the nice one and appreciate him. Introduce the mean one to a pot before he gets tough. You probably won't be able to give them away. Most folks do not want roosters due to noise and aggression problems.
We want chicks so we wanted one rooster, just wasn't expecting two!

Grabbing onto the hen's neck is part of how they mate. Usually it's over quickly with no harm done to the hen, or sometimes they'll snag a couple feathers if the hen doesn't submit quietly. Sometimes young cockerels especially, will miss the neck and hit the comb. Males will argue over dominance and spar when they grow up together but will usually settle down after a few months, faster if you separate them from the hens in a second coop/run with plenty of space to go sulk in their separate corners.

If you're allowed roosters and have the space, it doesn't hurt to have a spare in case something happens to the first one. If he's nice to people, it's possible that what you're classifying as aggression is actually normal young cockerel behavior. As a first time chicken owner, it's sometimes hard to tell the difference between normal and not-normal.

It's not unusual to have cockerels turn up in pullet orders, and especially at feed stores!
Right now he's being an adolescent jerk, with less mature pullet flockmates, and this could possibly calm down, or escalate, either way. If you weren't planning on having roosters, he should move on, either to the freezer, or to someone else's flock or freezer.
I too will work for peace out there, and this isn't so nice right now.
Mary

Thanks, that's great advice! We wanted one rooster, not two, but we'd like to keep him if possible. He's started mating now, instead of just being aggressive, and we have 13 hens, so hopefully he won't wear them out too much. Our other rooster isn't exhibiting any of this behavior yet.

Back
Top Bottom