Aggressive Rooster?

Annalyse

Crowing
Mar 24, 2020
New Jersey
My chickens are 3 months old today. 6 girls and 1 boy. My rooster is a nice guy but always is agressive mostly towards my Buff Orpington. Theres some days were he is full on nice and others were hes just a jerk. My Buff and him always have beef with each other. Tonight on the roost he kept grabbing her and she didnt like it. She is scared to sit near him. Well all the girls are a little scared of him especially at night because that's when he is the most aggressive. But he is nice too and killing him is not an option. Any Ideas?

My chickens are 3 months old today. 6 girls and 1 boy. My rooster is a nice guy but always is aggressive mostly towards my Buff Orpington. There are some days where he is full-on nice and others where he's just a jerk. My Buff and he always have beef with each other. Tonight on the roost he kept grabbing her and she didn't like it. She is scared to sit near him. Well, all the girls are a little scared of him especially at night because that's when he is the most aggressive. But he is nice too and killing him is not an option. Any Ideas?

I became too close to get rid of.
At 3mo he hasn't even hit his full hormonal load yet, you may become much less fond of him when he really starts terrorizing, and possibly injuring, the girls.
If you really want to keep him, I'd get a separate enclosure ready for him now.

Pretty much what @aart said. He’s going to get more annoying to all. He’ll settle way down closer to one year old, although lower light/less light in winter also helps to tone down their hormonal behavior.

is there any other ways instead of a separate enclosure?

a Separate enclosure can be a large dog kennel with his own food and water in the run or coop. When we have had to separate, we have used a moveable fence within the run, with a cover, so bird could not jump/fly out - but that was under a roofed portion of the run. You can also just let them figure it out, but it will stress out the flock to some degree. When you have a male and females of the same age, there is no-one to teach him the proper manners in the chicken world - no older hens or rooster for instruction and reprimand. So, he's gong to be a bit of a hormonal jerk (or a very big one) for awhile.

a Separate enclosure can be a large dog kennel with his own food and water in the run or coop. When we have had to separate, we have used a moveable fence within the run, with a cover, so bird could not jump/fly out - but that was under a roofed portion of the run. You can also just let them figure it out, but it will stress out the flock to some degree. When you have a male and females of the same age, there is no-one to teach him the proper manners in the chicken world - no older hens or rooster for instruction and reprimand. So, he's gong to be a bit of a hormonal jerk (or a very big one) for awhile.
okay thank you but I'm not a big fan of the separation so I'm just going to find a way to work around this but if I really have to ill try.

Back
Top Bottom