Aggressive Rooster?

okay thank you but I'm not a big fan of the separation so I'm just going to find a way to work around this but if I really have to ill try.

chickens aren’t trainable quite like dogs...nor can you reason with them like humans. So, that is why separation works best when there is a hormonal cockerel. Good luck.

he's really nice some days and then there's days where the mood changes and then he goes back to being nice so I don't want to separate them for no reason.

he's really nice some days and then there's days where the mood changes and then he goes back to being nice so I don't want to separate them for no reason.

Get your isolation pen or crate ready.
You may never have to use it.
But when he really gets going in the next month or so, it can turn ugly fast.

I'm guessing you are brand new to chickens and have never seen a male bird at it's worst.
It's when Romance meets Reality.

People often underestimate the violence of a rooster. Toward pullets, and often times toward people. Roosters raised with older birds, get a correction by older birds during this stage. You can try that, some people hold them down, or carry them around. Some people swear by this, but others have stated it is of limited success.

Do you have small children? Because they often go from being the darling to the nightmare and when they do so, they tend to attack children first. A child under the age of 6 will take that in the face.

Novice people often do not recognize the signs that aggression is rising in a rooster. You are recognizing them, but think that it is not dangerous, that this is going to be as bad as it gets. He is young, he is going to get worse, maybe much worse.

When you keep roosters, you need a plan B set up and ready to go. AArts advice on having a set up ready to go, is good advice. If you don't use it, good deal, if you need it, priceless.

Mrs K

Aart has given you some excellent advice. Odds are he's going to get worse before he settles down. You need to be prepared to separate him out so the pullets aren't subject to his abuse. He doesn't have to be out of sight of the others, just in an enclosure where he can't hurt them.

And while he is friendly towards you now, that is subject to change in the next couple of months as well. He may end up being as much of a jerk to you as he is towards the pullets.

Update: He was being really aggressive towards my buff like always and started being her feet and pulling her feathers. Her scales came up from the biting. He also bit me but he's done before but this time broke the skin. didn't really hurt but I know he's going to get worse. does anybody have pics of a separate closure for one rooster or like pics from google or something they can show me?

Any large dog crate will work for the short term. Strongly consider rehoming him, sometimes a bird like that put in a multi-generational flock will turn out.

Not every bird will work in your set up. If he is already biting you, he is trying to put you in your place, he will continue to do this and it will become more and more violent. Let him go is my best advice. However, I just don't like an aggressive bird toward me and mine.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom