Aggressive rooster

My roo pecked my feet, hard. Hackles up, not a "give me a treat" peck. He sometimes went for my hand or tried to spur my legs.

I tried:

Keeping him at bay with a stick. This mostly worked, but he'd get around it at times.

Holding him down. Hard to catch him for this because he was fast and I'm slow.

Wearing jeans, gloves, and sturdy shoes so that he would learn he couldn't hurt me and hopefully give up.

One day he came up behind me and spurred the back of my legs. I was wearing jeans, so he didn't hurt me.

Two nights ago, he died. I think he had a heart attack, as his comb was purple-ish. His head was at a weird angle too, so maybe he broke his neck when he fell.

He was handsome, and I miss hearing him crow, miss seeing him with the ladies. But I don't miss him.

I think there's a percentage of well behaved roosters out there, but it's possibly low.

I have noticed in my own experience and observations raising cockerels, that they seem friendlier and well behaved when there not the center of attention or cuddled. They all turned out well mannered towards me, never had any incident. I can't say they were friendly towards each other. But I was able to handle them for injuries and for culling.

So this method might be a way to obtain a rooster that you might actually want. Just a thought.

I think there's a percentage of well behaved roosters out there, but it's possibly low.

I have noticed in my own experience and observations raising cockerels, that they seem friendlier and well behaved when there not the center of attention or cuddled. They all turned out well mannered towards me, never had any incident. I can't say they were friendly towards each other. But I was able to handle them for injuries and for culling.

So this method might be a way to obtain a rooster that you might actually want. Just a thought.
I only have the one rooster. And he doesn’t get attention like the hens do. He’s fast and impossible to catch so we just leave him alone

I think the percentage of "good" ones is lower than we like to admit. Still they're beautiful creatures. I can't help but like the boogers.

I have 3 hens and one rooster, got them almost a year ago, just before they started laying. Suddenly my rooster has become aggressive towards people. My husband, the guy that lives with us, and our children but never me. (I have watched him do it) a couple days ago he actually ran up behind my 7yr old son and spurred him in the leg which he’s never done before this behaviour has only been just starting he used to just run away from us whenever we were around. He’s not aggressive towards the hens, cats or ducks that we have only the people. We separated him from the rest of the birds for 2 days and tried snuggling with him ever since we got him but nothings working. Is there anything else we can do or should he be rehomed
Please do NOT rehome him! If he's attacking you now, imagine how he will act to other people he has love for.
Those other people might have grandbabies that visit.

Please do NOT rehome him! If he's attacking you now, imagine how he will act to other people he has love for.
Those other people might have grandbabies that visit.
Rehoming him meant that he was going to a friend of our that would eat him for dinner. We didn’t go that route with him, he’s been culled and burried in our backyard due to him trying to attack my daughter through a fence.

But.....the child WAS outside..... and DID get injured.
Cull
Rehome to the friend to rat.
Do NOT keep and hope for the best. It won't happen and the rooster will not learn to be nice .
He will only get more aggressive.
I made another comment to someone else stating that he has been culled and burried

I made another comment to someone else stating that he has been culled and burried
Thank you! I read that after I posted mine.
It's very hard to kill, but sometimes it's the lesser of the 2 evils.
You'll see a change in dynamics with flock and family life should get easier not worrying about an attack or injury.
Your stress level will get lower, not worrying about an attack or injury.

Back
Top Bottom